New Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
Just got a brand new corny (never used). The directions say to simply run sanitizer through it before use, but I will probably soak in OxyClean or PBW for a few hours first and then sanitize. My question is whether disassembly of the dip tube & posts are necessary to clean a brand new keg. Interestingly the directions say disassembly is NEVER required to clean the keg & it would void the warranty. Seems like everyone disassembles these when cleaning so I am curious if there are people out there who never do so when cleaning and what kind of results do they get as far as keg life and beer taste?

Where did you buy the keg from that says you void the warranty if you dismantle the keg? All kegs I have purchased (only one new one), I did take it apart to give it a good cleaning and lube the seals. I figured there may still be machine oils that I would want to clean off the new keg. The used ones, who knows what they had in them or when they were last cleaned.

I built my own keg cleaner that I run after each time the keg kicks. I have the connectors that also push cleaner through them. As long as I don't let the keg sit and get crusty, I place it on the washer for 5-10 mins with cleaner. Then I move it over to a bucket with just hot water and run it for another 5-10 minutes to rinse it. No problems with off flavors and what not.

Good luck! Cheers!

I take apart all 15 of my kegs every time (well almost every time...) I use them, check the springs and seals, and put them back together after soaking them. If I had a new one, I would definitely be concerned about manufacturing oils that need to be removed before putting beer in it. I would take it apart, soak the little bits in a cup, and wash the rest in the sink or on my keg cleaner I built. I use hot PBW and rinse three times. YMMV!

When AEB kegs first arrived in the USA they were sold with the same "Don't you ever remove the posts!" warranty prohibition.
If that's the manufacturer in this case I'd have thought by now (~7 years later?) they'd have smartened up...

Yup...it is an AEB keg from Beverage Elements. It says in bold print, "Disassembly will void the warranty and is not necessary to clean the keg". Yet I don't seem to know anyone who doesn't disassemble their kegs at least occasionally. Seems strange.

I can't help but wonder, if you pressure test the keg and it passes, what kind of warranty could you possibly need from a stainless steel keg?

What happens if a poppet gets plugged and won't clear by back-flushing and the post has to be removed - and the riser strips or shears off?

I pull my posts, poppets and diptubes between every fill. I'd be extremely reticent to buy a new keg under that restriction...

Cheers!

So, I can sometimes be a bit cynical. What kind of warranty do you think you have on that keg? What would they cover?

Great question. Not sure what would go wrong with a corny that would require warranty replacement other than defective steel/structural issues. Most issues seem easily fixed by rebuilding the keg with a handful of pieces. I suppose I could accidently run over my corny with my car, but I have a feeling that would not be covered under warranty :)

Back