New Cider Experiments; Cranapple and Strawberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I just started cider making a month or so ago. I've been into fermenting and preserving for years, so this seemed like a natural next step. I started googling and ended up making a pretty basic cider;
4 gallons fresh pressed, pasteurized juice,
2 lb local honey,
1 packet EC1118 wine yeast

Fermented out completely dry in 10 days. Flavour? Very dry, a little harsh, but I think it will mellow with age. Still prominent apple flavour. Very high alcohol content( no hydrometer), guessing its on par with a fairly strong wine.slightly cloudy, just what I was looking for in a "farm style" cider. Pretty happy with it.

Now onto batch 2 and three.
4 gallons pasteurized fresh pressed apple juice
3 lb local honey
1 gallon cranberry juice( mixture of one store bought container with added sugar and some I pressed myself from fresh berries)
2 containers frozen concentrated cranberry juice( no preservatives, did have added sugar)
One pack ale yeast( can't remember the exact type, bought at a local brew store, came from Australia)

Currently about 4 days in, bubbling about every 30 seconds. The goal for this one is a sweeter, fruity cider.

Batch 3 is
1 gallon( less a few cups) fresh pressed apple juice
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups strawberries, puréed, strained
1/2 tsp pectin enzyme
Packet EC1118

This is more of an experiment than anything. Ideally it will have some nice strawberry flavour.

I'll keep you updated!

Update. The cranberry with the ale yeast is still bubbling every 7-10 seconds. Still got a ways to go.

The strawberry appears done fermenting, no airlock activity for 4 days ( I really need a hydrometer). I transferred it to sanitized bottles, sweetened and I'm hoping it will carb up a bit. At first taste it was very dry, muddy flavour, not much strawberry came through. In a case like this, could I put it in a secondary with some fresh strawberries to add flavour?

Why don't you try a strawberry extract? This could add the strawberry flavors that you are looking for. I think I'm going to try this but I might add the strawberry to a secondary. Did you have any problems with too much activity clogging up your air lock?

I'm a little worried about strawberry extract tasting like cough syrup. I think I will give it a month or so to clear and re-sample.

No issues with clogging the airlock, just a bit of foam at first, then fizzing.

This completely stopped in 7 days. I back sweetened with a bit of honey and I have seen no carbonation in 7 days. This seems odd to me. Is it possible the ec1118 reached 18% in 7 days?

I wouldn't think that it would get that high that fast. It took 3 weeks for my last melomel to reach ~12%. I guess anything is possible, maybe it just needs some nutrient or time to get back to work.

Back