New brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded-one

Reaction score
Seeing as the space in my apartment and the fact that il be using an electric coil stove top to make this . I'm thinking 2.5 gallons my apartment gets real warm in the late spring early summer ( when I'm planning to start ) id say low of high high 70s to mid 80s during the day . I was thinking maybe a saison or Belgian in this enviroment . I hate to ask directly but can someone reccomend a recipe and possibly show me it scaled down with instructions or reccomend a beer recipe that would ferment well at this tempature . Again if it could be scaled down to 2.5 that would be great so I can work on getting something going and figure out the whys and how's as I go along . Thanks in advance

Just find a normal 5 gallon recipe and divide all the ingredients by half. The boil, mash, steeping, etc times will remain the same.

You can also use the swamp cooler technique to reduce your fermenting temperature.

Good luck, man! Report back with some pics.

swamp cooler would be a good way to start yes. Temp control is important for making good beer.
A California Common (steam beer) may do ok in the 70's but in the 80's i am not too sure.

There are a few Belgian strains of yeast that do well in the mid 70s and a couple high 70s. You have the right idea. Even if the room temp it in the yeast's range fermentation increases the temp so the swamp cooler is a good idea even for these.. I agree with dividing a recipie or 5gal kit in half. It's been working fine for my small batches.

Yea, a kit would be best. Then you can do the rest of a 5 gallon kit when you want it.

Apartment brewing kicks ass. Dont underestimate the importance of fermentation temp. Control. You should research swamp coolers. I found brewing in an apartment much more difficult then when i had a basement.

I think what the OP is asking for is instructions on how to actually brew it. A recipe is just a recipe, I don't know if the OP knows where to start beyond that. I will give the framework, and because I always do, I will miss things...so feel free to fill in the blanks or give alternative advice if it benefits the OP.

Jaded-one, I think you're on the right track with thinking a saison would be ideal to brew with your situation. So, here is a recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=254684

Scaled down to 2.75 gallons because it will actually give you 2.5 gallons into the bottle (give or take)

Cottage House Saison

Pilsner Malt (2 Row - German) - 4.25 lbs.
White Wheat Malt - 12 Oz.
CaraMunich Malt - 4 Oz.
Flaked Oats - 4 Oz.
Orange Blossom Honey - 8 Oz.

Other:
1 tsp. - Black Pepper

Hops/Spices:

0.25 oz. Sorachi Ace, 10.50%aa @FWH.
0.25 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @FWH.
0.25 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.

Yeast:
WYeast 3711 PC French Saison

I assume you are doing BIAB method, so that will be the instructions I give.

Bring 4.25 gallons of water to 153 degrees and stir in your malt making sure to avoid dough balls. Your mash temp should settle @ 148 degrees. Stir every 10 minutes or so and check temp to make sure it is staying within + 2 degrees.

Do this for 60 mins.

After 60 mins, remove the grain bag from the wort, let it drain/squeeze it if you so desire, and add your first wort hops (FWH) and start your boil. After that, the instructions are pretty clear.

I think this about covers it. Keep in mind, the volumes I gave you are from my system and your mileage may vary depending on how you're set up, but this should be a good jumping off point. Hope it helps.

Biscuits, what does FWH mean on your hop additions? I presume @60 given the way it goes down in time like normal, but just curious what the FWH stood for

Never mind, I read the original recipe (which I just may have to try myself!) and I guess they are in before it's even brought to a boil.

Biscuits, what does FWH mean on your hop additions? I presume @60 given the way it goes down in time like normal, but just curious what the FWH stood for

With a BIAB method I simply add my FWH before I fire up the burner since I am not really able to add them to the kettle and then rack my wort on top of them.

Back