New Brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am very new to this, my second beer is currently in fermentation. Last night it frothed and foamed out of my airlock and was coming out for hours! It stopped eventually and I re-sanitised my airlock and now it is fine. Will it be ok?

Also, for my next brew I want to make a light coloured ale. Does this recipe sound good, or, am I just barking up the wrong tree so to speak!?

3kg Crushed Golden Promise Pale Malt
500g Extra Light Spray Malt (Muntons)

400g Flaked Corn (Maize)

50g Challenger
50g Northdowns

Brupaks Ale Yeast

Also I will be using Spring Water, as I get it free.

Would love to hear from anyone, advice, guidance anything!! :)

Cheers,

Si

Hey welcome buddy. It should be absolutely fine after you cleaned it and put it back on. You just may want to note the O.G. and yeast you used for it, so in the future you know it might be a good idea to use a blowoff tube. As far as the recipe is concerned, you should check out brewersfriend.com and plug it in there. It will give you a better idea of what you are making and it is an easy site to use.

Keep us updated on how that beer turns out!

You will probably be fine...there is very little oppertunity for baddies to get in as the foam is coming out.

Lucky for you the airlock didn't plug and you didn't have a larger mess to cleanup.

I think it happens to everyone, then they adopt the following strategy:
Blowoff tube for 2-3 days, then switch to airlock with star san/vodka.

Yeah man, as far as any other advice or guidance it is better to just ask if you have a question and just read on. There is an abundance of information on this site and it can be overwhelming but the answers are here, somewhere. The best things to get started though in my opinion..

- Pay attention to your fermentation temperature and consider a way to control it.
- An auto-siphon is an inexpensive tool that can make life a little easier.

Quick question, does this look right?

IMG_20150209_172329.jpg

Just making sure that it is ok, very new to this.

Ha, I don't think the wife would agree regarding the wallpaper.

Cheers,

Si

Looks good but may need a blowoff tube before its all said and done or your wallpaper may get some ad-hoc improvements with hop material and yeast when the cap blows out.
:)

Do you think it will? Because it foamed/frothed from yesterday 2pm until 6am this morning. Just bubbling away. I'd probably say a bubble per second.

Do you think it will? Because it foamed/frothed from yesterday 2pm until 6am this morning. Just bubbling away. I'd probably say a bubble per second.

I would watch it closely...The airlock stops bubbling and that krausen has not fallen, your airlock is plugged and internal pressure is building which = ticking timebomb. Trust me. I have cleaned up more closet walls, ceilings and freezers to know how bad it sucks to experience a blowout. Especially one in a room your wife decorated. Makes a new hobby quickly become a former hobby when that happens....

Just to keep you up to date. Krausen has fallen and I would say it's about 1cm above the beer. The airlock is working fine and is bubbling once every six seconds, slowly slowing down.

Cheers,

Si

Sounds like it is time to tuck it away and let it run it's course. Ya did good buddy. Only one question now...

What are you making next ? :D

Sounds like it is time to tuck it away and let it run it's course. Ya did good buddy. Only one question now...

What are you making next ? :D

I'm absolutely buzzing to be honest and can't wait to make the next one. Problem is, I only have 2 fermenters (5 Gallon Plastic tub and 5 Gallon glass Demijohn) 1's got the beer in and ill need to other to put my priming sugar in and then put the beer into it, then bottle.

So I'll be definitely making another soon, but only when this one has run it's course.

This is what ill be making though :

3kg Crushed Golden Promise Pale Malt
500g Extra Light Spray Malt (Muntons)

400g Flaked Corn (Maize)

50g Challenger
50g Northdowns

Brupaks Ale Yeast

I prefer light coloured ales, so it anyone has a good recipe or advice, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Si

Took a Gravity reading today, just over a week after brewing, and it has a reading of 1.012. I'm going to bottle next weekend, so it should be done fermenting by then shouldn't it?

Cheers,

Si

Took a Gravity reading today, just over a week after brewing, and it has a reading of 1.012. I'm going to bottle next weekend, so it should be done fermenting by then shouldn't it?

Cheers,

Si

I'd check it again tomorrow to see if it has changed at all, then maybe once more towards the end of the week. If it hasn't changed you should be good to go. What temp are you fermenting at now?

You should be good by the next weekend to bottle your beer.
Can you provide more details on the recipe you listed? What style of beer are you trying to make? What does the hop schedule look like? The color will be very light and ABV will also be low.

I always drop the temp on my fermchamber below 4c before bottling. I only recommend this if you are force carbonating with a keg. If you are bottling just leave it at 22c until you bottle. You could leave it at 22c for a month with no issues.

You may have hit your final gravity but I would take another reading the day before you plan to bottle. If it's the same, your good. If it's lower then check again on bottling day. If the last two days show no change, then you're good! It's a good idea that even at your FG you are letting it sit another week. Although the primary fermentation is over, the suspended yeast is still consuming chemicals that cause off flavors. 2 weeks I feel is pretty standard for most ales, even if you hit FG in a few days. Welcome to your new obsession!

You should be good by the next weekend to bottle your beer.
Can you provide more details on the recipe you listed? What style of beer are you trying to make? What does the hop schedule look like? The color will be very light and ABV will also be low.

The recipe was :

3.5kg Pale liquid malt extract
400g Crystal Malt EBC 60

50g Challenger Hops
15g Northdowns
15g East Kent Goldings

Just trying to make a golden ale really, I prefer lighter colour ales.

Do you think the recipe was any good? Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers,

Si

Sounds good to me. Basic pale ales and IPA's are some of my favorite beers yet they have the simplest recipes. Base malt (pale/light), some crystal (in your case a little 60L, sounds good), and a mix of bittering and aroma hops. This is most likely going to produce a great beer and give you some ideas on where to take it in the future. For example, you could switch the 60L out for a much smaller amount of 120L, get close to the same color and but a different malt profile. You can tweak the hops like crazy and and add dry hops and make it an IPA. You can switch up the yeast and go for a Belgian style ale or even a German style lager (if you can control the fermentation temps), with hardly any change to your recipe. Point is, you may be looking at this as a basic, beginner pale ale but you can take a very basic recipe in a lot of directions if you want. Best of luck!

What is the hop schedule? You could make a lot of different beers just by changing the ltime you put in the hops. Also the crystal malt is listed as EBC 60. This is close to 30 L. The crystal malt is very light in color.

Took another reading last night before I bottled. The reading was 1.010. So I decided to bottle. Put the priming sugar into my 2nd fermenting bin and then syphoned the beer into it and mixed well. It is now bottled. How long should I leave it in the second fermentation stage? 2 weeks? Then store cold somewhere?

Took another reading last night before I bottled. The reading was 1.010. So I decided to bottle. Put the priming sugar into my 2nd fermenting bin and then syphoned the beer into it and mixed well. It is now bottled. How long should I leave it in the second fermentation stage? 2 weeks? Then store cold somewhere?

Sounds good to me.

Latest posts

Back