New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfr0g

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been brewing using the Mr. Beer kit for a while now and I've loved it. I'm up to multiple fermenters and I've gradually been taking on more and more complicated recipes and they've turned out beautifully. (Not all of them, of course, but there was a learning curve lol)
My question is that I would now like to take the next step an move on from the Mr. Beer w pre made worst and start brewing from the ground up on my own, but I don't even know where to start.
What kind of equipment should I be getting? What's a simple batch to try for a test run of my first grain to glass brew?
Any and all help is much appreciated.
Cheers!

Go to home depot, buy a 5 or ten gallon round cooler, northern brewer has false bottoms sized to the round coolers, you'll need a stainless spigot, and voila...you have a mashtun (Numerous threads here on how to put it together). This is the most important piece of equipment for all grain brewing, the rest ( boil kettle at least 5 gallons, and Hot liquor tank) can be cobbled together as time ,and money permit. Don't forget you need a good Mash Paddle too...;)

Back