New brewer with secondary issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny6133

Reaction score
This is my second batch ever and I brewed an edelweiss all grain. It was in the primary for 4 days (I got the recipe for the Brooklyn brew shop recipe book) I went to the secondary and it's been 3 weeks so I have it a try yesterday. I popped the top and it was like Champagne and went everywhere. Should o lit it go for amother week??wen

I'm not really understanding the issue. It was bottled and you opened one of the bottles? How long did you let them carb and how long was it in the fridge before trying to open it?

How much priming sugar? Did you prime individual bottles or batch prime?

I'm confused.

It was in primary for 4 days and then secondary for how long? You didn't go straight from a 4 day primary to bottles, did you?

Either way, it's my understanding that time won't solve an overcarbonation problem.

You can try gently venting the bottles by prying up the edge of a cap and then recapping them, and I'd recommend chilling the bottles down before trying this.

Can you better describe your timeline?

Sounds like you transferred too early and or bottled too early. If you bottle too soon, the fermentation would be incomplete and the remaining unfermented sugars would be processed by your yeast within the bottle. This creates EtOH and CO2 as you know. Since your bottle is capped, the CO2 builds up within the bottle and when released/opened, it will cause what we call a "gusher".

Other ways that gushers form: too much priming sugar added, infection in bottle.

Tell us more about your fermentation timeline and we can better help diagnose and fix your problem.

I wonder if this is what is going on. Brooklyn Brew Shop kits are one gallon, right. #1 racking to secondary at 4 days is too soon. My guess is that you used a second gallon jug and sealed the top tightly. If so, fermentation and/or co2 built up in the secondary and when opened it spewed.

Read all the stickies on this forum and buy a hydrometer. If you have any directions that state wait "x" days then... throw them away. Fermentation does not work on set schedule. Gravity readings is the right way to determine when to go the the next stage.

Good luck.

You guys are quick. The fermentation timeline is primary for 4 days and then bottles for 3 weeks. I didn't add anything to the bottles when I filled them. Thanks for the responses

I would handle the bottles with EXTREME care if you are getting champagne gysers.

Not sure why or what instructions you were reading, but most fermentations take longer than 4 days to finish properly. By bottling so soon, your yeast are still actively fermenting the sugar and creating a crapload of CO2.

The issue with this is that those bottles are getting over pressurized by the yeast, and they can literally explode like mini glass shrapnel grenades severely injuring anyone nearby.

Get them all into the fridge asap to stop the yeast from fermenting any more. Seriously handle them with care while moving them, i would wrap them in a towel or heavy blanket while moving them, and keep them wrapped in the fridge if you can or else they may pop in there and create a chain reaction of mess.

You may need to just uncap them all in the sink and let the excess CO2 out, then you can try recapping but you bottled so early its likely to happen again...the batch maybe just screwed lol.

Trust me you dont want one of those bottles exploding, i know someone who had a 12oz bottle pop and he is still finding tiny flakes of glass all over his laundry room months later after an extensive clean. Not to mention all the sugary beer everywhere, that's how you get ants.

Waaay too short fermentation time. Most ales need at least 14 days. Once fermentation is done, then you can bottle with added priming sugar.

FuzzeWuzze said:
I would handle the bottles with EXTREME care if you are getting champagne gysers.

Not sure why or what instructions you were reading, but most fermentations take longer than 4 days to finish properly. By bottling so soon, your yeast are still actively fermenting the sugar and creating a crapload of CO2.

The issue with this is that those bottles are getting over pressurized by the yeast, and they can literally explode like mini glass shrapnel grenades severely injuring anyone nearby.

Get them all into the fridge asap to stop the yeast from fermenting any more. Seriously handle them with care while moving them, i would wrap them in a towel or heavy blanket while moving them, and keep them wrapped in the fridge if you can or else they may pop in there and create a chain reaction of mess.

You may need to just uncap them all in the sink and let the excess CO2 out, then you can try recapping but you bottled so early its likely to happen again...the batch maybe just screwed lol.

The recipe from Brooklyn brew shop told me to wait only 4 days. I don't know why I was just following the recipe. All beers are wrapped in bubble wrap in a box in the basement and I think they will stay there for a while. Should I just wait another couple of weeks to open one??

Def too short on ferment times. you also have to refridgerate them ,imo,for a week to get co2 into solution & let any chill haze form & settle out. Some properly brewed beers may foam over if not given fridge time.

The recipe from Brooklyn brew shop told me to wait only 4 days. I don't know why I was just following the recipe. All beers are wrapped in bubble wrap in a box in the basement and I think they will stay there for a while. Should I just wait another couple of weeks to open one??

No! Do not wait!

They are probably still fermenting, with the pressure inside them increasing daily. The longer you wait, the more pressure. The more pressure, the greater the chance of them exploding.

Time solves some issues with beer, but not this one.

I encourage you to take the advice above. Chill those down, keep them wrapped if you can, and wear some eye protection at the very least when you move or open them.

Please assume that they *will* explode. Plan for that, and hope none do.

Were it me, I would do as the others have suggested, and dump the batch using the methods that have been suggested (chilled, wrapped when moving, eye protection, etc.). I personally would not try recapping them, as there's no way to know if they'd just ferment all over again, and create a hazard all over again. I would dump it, no question.

Losing a batch of beer is not fun -- but the risk of someone actually getting hurt? That's a whole lot less fun.

Yeah I'm gonna chill them all tonight and open them tomorrow. Lesson learned I guess. Thanks for the response

when the recipe called for 4 days in primary and the move to secondary, they were not referring to the bottles as a secondary, but rather a smaller fermentation vessel, normally a five gallons carboy. dont ever bottle less then at least 2 weeks after you brew

If you really want to try to save the batch you could maybe try to (carefully) open all the bottles then cover them with some sanitized foil or balloons and let it sit for another week or two to finish fermenting. You could then add some of carbonation drops (little tabs with enough priming sugar for one bottle) and recap.

Definitely don't let them sit any longer I had my first bottle explode a few months ago and I'm still finding glass over 20 feet away. Im not sure if that would work and it might be easier to dump it. But if seeing beer go down the drain makes you as sad as it makes me that might be an option to try.

finsfan said:
when the recipe called for 4 days in primary and the move to secondary, they were not referring to the bottles as a secondary, but rather a smaller fermentation vessel, normally a five gallons carboy. dont ever bottle less then at least 2 weeks after you brew

That makes much more sense. I checked my bottles and 3 exploded and 3 were ok. I put them in a mini fridge in the basement and will open them tomorrow. Luckily they were in a closed boxed when they exploded and no one was hurt. Thanks for all your suggestions

Back