New brewer with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneoffcustom

Reaction score
Doing a Belgian blonde this weekend. Was curious to know if I wanted to add a bit of a citrus taste to it, how would I go about it.

Thinking orange zest for a kinda blue moon feeling.

How much would I add and when?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just brewed a blonde ale this weekend and used Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 and will be adding a 1/4 cup orange zest to secondary for 7 days this sunday. I am looking for a really stronge citrus flavor. Adding it to secondary was based on the research I did on the forums. Hope that helps. :mug:

I have added the zest of about 3 oranges at flameout and had great results. I would always use fresh orange zest vs dried. If you really want a kick in the ass orange-style, maybe zest 5 for flameout and see how it goes, and dry hop with them only if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could also add some cascade or chinook hops. These will give you a citrusy taste were as orange peel will give you a orange flavor. Also LHBS sell dried orange peel. This is more citrusy and less orangy.

As far as orange zest, adding to the boil will at a hint, "dry hopping" it so to say, will be much stronger

Back