New Brewer, small batch, dry stout-opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmmille

Reaction score
Hi Brewmeisters! I am going to be brewing a dry stout recipe from my local brew shop. I have a combination of extract and milled grains and will be using Safale s-04 yeast. My batch size will produce about 2 gallons (2-1/2 gallon starting volume and a 60 minute boil. I guess I could top off the wort with clean water, if necessary?) I have acquired a couple of used bottling buckets for free and meticulously cleaned and sanitized them. I also have two 2 gallon primary fermentation buckets. I could split the batch into the two PFB's or fit it all in one bottling bucket.
I will be brewing the week after Thanksgiving and I will be bottling the beer when ready. The first thing I worry about is that my first taste of bottled Guinness was NASTY!!! Years later, I was convinced to try it on tap when draft Guinness was just becoming locally available and it was a dramatic difference! I do not have kegging equipment and wonder if I am going to like my bottled product or be disgusted by it?!
Secondly, I have not had a bunch of experience with stouts other than Guinness. When a recipe is described as a "Dry Stout", how does that compare with Guiness? I'm also considering adding a single split vanilla bean to the recipe. Should that be added at the end of the boil, off heat or go into the fermentation container? Would that work with this type of recipe or would that be totally out of character and not advisable? I have 12 oz and 22 oz bottles I could use, if it matters one way of the other. I also have a couple of growlers I could use...can you bottle into growlers with screw caps? Thanks for any advice, comments, experiences!!!

You have a number of questions throughout your post, but I'll do my best.

Guinness is one of the classic examples of a dry stout, but there are others. The Murphy's Stout is an excellent choice if you want to try another example. The BJCP style guidelines may assist you in understanding the style: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php#1a

Yes, you can make an excellent dry stout that's bottle conditioned.

Ideally, you ferment all the wort in a single vessel. I guess you should use your bottling bucket for fermentation in that case.

No, you should not bottle in a growler. Many posts on HBT about this, but it's not recommend due to the pressure rating of a growler bottle.

Both vanilla additions techniques are acceptable. I recommend researching the HBT forum. From a BJCP perspective that would be out of character, however, that's just for competition/judging purposes. As the brewer, you can make your dry stout however you like. I personally prefer my dry stouts without vanilla beans.

Pie Man,
That you so much for taking the time to respond so comprehensively to my rambling inquiry. You have provided me with some excellent information and, I'm betting, some well-informed opinion. I will definitely make use of it all!!!

Back