New Brewer in Central Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InertZero

Reaction score
Hello all,

I began brewing in February of this year (thanks to a healthy tax refund :rockin:). This forum helped me through many of the issues I have faced since the beginning such as:

-Star San foaming (apparently a bigger question than I thought)
-Links to help make a homemade wort chiller
-How to make a yeast starter
-Blowoff issues
-Adding grains of paradise and lemon zest to your wort

And much more, I'm sure. Aside from homebrewing (the thing that has brought us together), I am an aerospace engineer living in Lafayette, IN. Aside from beer, I rather enjoy auto racing, particularly IndyCar and Formula One. Also really into metal music.

I just racked my fourth brew to secondary, a Belgian Blonde Lefse from northernbrewer.com, to which I added the aforementioned grains of paradise and lemon zest. It is for my wedding! It's rapidly approaching, August 10.

My first attempt was an English Brown Ale from a Brewer's Best kit. I don't think I rehydrated the dry yeast properly, and I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching the yeast :smack: a total rookie mistake. Since then, I have also brewed the Nukey Brown Ale from Northern Brewer, as well as a Scottish Ale from a shop down in Indy (we don't have a homebrew store in Lafayette, not that I'm aware of anyway :( ).

Still an extract brewer, all from kits so far, but thinking about taking a step outside my comfort zone and making my own recipes from scratch, still heavily based on the kit recipes, though. Still a ways off in confidence for all-grain and even further financially from making it happen (saving for a wedding sucks).

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. Not sure how active I'll be around here, but thought I would say hi!

:mug:

Back