New Brewer, accidentally got someone elses order. What can I do with these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GammaRay4130

Reaction score
I was all excited when I came home today to find my order from NB had arrived. I ordered a grain mill and the caribou slobber all grain kit which was going to by my first ag attempt. Anyway there was an extra box, had all of my info on it so I opened it up and lo and behold it was someone else's order with the wrong shipping sticker. So the first thing I did was call NB to let them know what happened, they said they would be shipping the other guy out a replacement package. Also they said I can keep the order and they will let the other brewer know whats going on.

Anyway I am new to brewing (3rd extract batch water is heat up at the moment) so I am asking what would be an easy first all grain batch with the ingredients I received, since they all came crushed I figured I should do this one before the caribou slobber.

Here are the ingredients.

10lb dark wheat
6lb german pilsner malt
1lb dark munich malt
1lb caramunich II
1lb caramel 120L
2oz tettnang
and 2 packats munich wheat beer yeast

After inputting this into beersmith it looks like it could have been for a 10 gallon dunkelweizen. Now I am only set up to do 5 gallon batches at the moment so I was thinking of just halving the ingredients and seeing what happens. Any suggestions? :confused:

You don't mention if you have all the other equipment for All Grain yet. If you do, then i'd do as you suggest and just cut ingredients in half and make a 5 gal batch.

If you don't have all the other equipment yet (mainly the mash tun), I'd cut the ingredients in half and try a BIAB method. most likely all you would need would be the bag (paint strain bag from Home Depot or Lowes)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

What they said above. I think mashing a more than 50% wheat beer is supposed to hard, with a strong chance of a stuck mash though. Do a little research on that first I guess.

I built a mash tun from a 10 gallon round igloo cooler last week and have a 10 gallon kettle from spikes, today I am actually doing my first full boil once the grains are done steeping. One thing I wasn't too sure of was having that much wheat in the recipe, not sure if it works real well with a mesh braid but that is something I can look into. Thanks for the suggestions :mug:

A happy mistake for you, not for the other guy. 1/2 the recipe without concern at all. I think you're on the right track. Good luck!

You could try a dark wheat saison with the other half of the order, if you want something different to a dunkelweizen. Just need the yeast - I'd say WY3711 for the saison as it's much more likely to dry out properly.

Kind of not really in a style, but could be interesting.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395512278.402802.jpg first all grain brew day going well so far thanks for the help everyone!

Very nice. Did you have any problems with the wheat? I usually throw in a couple handfuls of rice hulls on the non-BIAB batches.

I like dyqik's idea for a different twist on the second half. Like he said not really a traditional saison grainbill but I think it would work nicely. I'm a fan of 3711, it is a beast and it will chew through anything.

I didnt have any issues with wheat, but I didn't exactly halve the ingredients. I only used 4lbs of the wheat malt and upped the pilsner to 3.5lbs since it was my first attempt I was hoping to not have to deal with a stuck sparge. So I guess it wouldn't be a true dunkelweisen since after adding in the specialty malts it was less than 50% wheat but the hydro sample I tasted was pretty good so thats fine with me.

Back