New Brewer, About To Buy Startup Kit ... Good Price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A new brew store recently opened between my house and work, had me toying with the idea of my own brew. I always wanted to, but never had a convenient locally-owned store to support my hobby.

I posted on here to get an idea of what to expect quite awhile ago, but then never put the funds aside for startup. Now, I think I'ma be starting up either this weekend or next, but I wanted to make sure I was getting a decent deal in what I am starting with.

I had decided to spring the extra cash for a premium all glass/metal kit. I had looked around, and it just seemed to be the safest and also the most worry-free as far as maintenance goes. From what I can see, the kit will last pretty much as long as I care for it, where as plastic needs replaced after a half dozen brews or so as it starts to scratch?

Well, anyways, the glass kit is costing $168.25 + tax.
That includes a plastic bottling bucket, 6.5 gallon glass carboy, 5 gallon glass carboy, all of the cleaning equipment to care for the carboys, and basically anything I need to brew that day. The only thing plastic is the bottling bucket itself. The only 2 things NOT included are a 36+ quart kettle to cook in, wort chiller, and bottles. Then a Pale Ale ingredients sack with instructions is between $30-$40.

So, is this $250 (allowing $50 for the 36quart pot) a good startup cost considering the all glass/metal kit I'll be getting? I've seen cheaper kits online, but they usually only come with the 5-gallon carboy ... and he has a $100 all plastic kit in-store, but I just didn't want the headache (or stomachache) that can come from them.

Seems to be fair. You could probably piece it out cheaper, but for a quick start this seems fine to me.

Enjoy your brewing! (and don't be so hard on plastic, it works just fine and for many more than 6 brews for most of us, and no stomach ache ever for me)

I'm also a beginner and have only made 3 extract kits with grains and am ready to start my 4th. I have a plastic fermenter and bottling bucket and they work good. This kit comes with the chiller, brew pot, capper, hydrometer, 5 gallon carboy etc. I go to this store but they also ship. Just an option for you.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-3_p_1706.html

Yea, my buddy uses plastic and says he's never had a problem. He actually has a glass carboy that he choose not to use. I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to maintenance on most things, so I'm looking for something I can give a good cleaning to and go, rather than going over ensuring it's maintained it's own integrity in regards to the scratches and stuff. haha

I noticed I could get the two carboys (I assume to be the most expensive parts of the kit) for $70 online parted out. I wasn't sure if the remaining parts were worth $100 ... but I'd be willing to pay $15-20 more in person to support the local store and also to start brewing today rather than waiting 10 days or so for shipping. haha

The only reason i ever break out my glass is if i have no room left with the rest of the fermenters :) :mug:
For all glass though, thats not too bad, even new the carboys are around 30-40 bucks.

While I have y'all in here, another quick question. Is the 2nd fermentation container needed? I mean, it seems to come in all kits, so I would assume yes ... I just haven't taken the time to look it up beyond being used for dry hopping?

While I have y'all in here, another quick question. Is the 2nd fermentation container needed? I mean, it seems to come in all kits, so I would assume yes ... I just haven't taken the time to look it up beyond being used for dry hopping?

Most people are moving away from doing a secondary fermentation just for the heck of it. It can be a good process if you are doing something like a late flavor addition, oak, fruit, or something like that, but in general, it's not commonly needed.

Having said that, having a second fermentation vessel is a good thing. At some point, when (not if) you get hooked on the hobby, you're going to be fermenting more than one batch at a time. I have three in my basement right now.

I would go for it but replace the glass with plastic. I prefer Better Bottles. If you don't do something like using a carboy brush which is meant for glass you should not be worried about scratches. I use only plastic and have all my original equipment. 2 years on July 1.

IMO glass is far too dangerous. See all the threads about injuries and even death related to shattered carboys.

You cannot get a stomach ache from anything in the beer, only bad tasting beer. Nothing pathological can live in beer. I paid about $150 for Northern Brewer's Deluxe kit. Also you might consider a second 6 gallon vessel rather than the 5 gallon. You do not need to do a secondary unless making additions like dry hopping, spices or fruit. I dry hop in my primary.

Also, IMO, cleaning a Better Bottle is easier than a glass carboy and for me even easier than a bucket. Overnight soak in Oxyclean, rinse, insert a washcloth and swirl, rinse some more, swirl some more and a final rinse. Total time in actually cleaning = about 10 minutes.

Minimum pot to boil, siphon, fermentation vessel, bottling vessel, and capper. Then variable costs (consumables). A lot of what you get makes things easier or put out a better finished product, but you can make great beer with the minimum.

I just bought my equipment a few weeks ago and it came in at a little under 200 for a bucket, carboy, boiling pot (not included with the kit), a capper, brushes and an ingredient kit so yours sounds reasonable.
This might be down the road for you but 6.5 gallon carboys are generally used for making wine from kits (I think), so it might be worth having just in case you want to expand into wine making.

I've used plastic fermenters from the start,& they're still clean as new inside with no scratches. Just don't use anything abrasive to clean them & they'll last a long time. And they don't impart off flavors like some claim.
I have a Cooper's micro brew FV & an Ale Pail from Brewer's Best for a couple years now. And I built my own bottling bucket for $13. All are still in service,& the wide openings make dry hopping,cleaning,etc far easier than carboys.

secondary you wont need unless you're bulk aging something (think barleywine and russian imperial stout and such).

i dry hop my beers straight in primary after fermentation is complete and its rested (bout 3 weeks after)

It seems expensive to me but not that expensive.

Bottom line is you want this and you know you want this. Yes, you can get a plastic system for quite a bit less and yes it will last a long time. But every time you use it you will be thinking "but I *really* wanted that nice kit with the pretty glass carboys". Unless, you are getting ripped off, which you aren't, I'd say buy it.

No. Not needed. And I'm not sure that they do come with all kits. But not useless. Could come in handy. And of course you could always use it as an extra primary. Either way it doubles your productivity.

Keeps you from waiting several weeks to brew the next batch. Heck, get as many as you can!

Wow. I participated in this thread over 2 years ago and FINALLY got myself some gear. Brewing the Northern Brewer Chinook IPA kit first. Wish me luck!

I still have my original bucket fermenter, the plastic grip handle has broken, but it is still good enough to use. Only glass ones I have (2 6g and 15g) are for long term aging of sour beers. I have a 5g better bottle for cider, 8 6.5g buckets, 2 FastFerment conicals and an 8g wine bucket. Glass is great, but heavy and dangerous when it gets wet. Stainless Steel is the best option, but not unless you have loads of extra cash.

I only use secondary for my sours or fruit additions. My barrels are considered secondary, but in reality, as home brewers, we rarely ever engage in secondary fermentation.

Wow. I participated in this thread over 2 years ago and FINALLY got myself some gear. Brewing the Northern Brewer Chinook IPA kit first. Wish me luck!

Good luck! :ban:

I too replied about the equipment. I first looked at my reply and thought it was a recent one. I would say almost the exact same thing these days.

I did the Chinook IPA It was very good.

I think you're doing the right thing--don't cheap out on items that 3 months from now you'll wish you'd not bought in favor of something better.

And as far as plastic--I can't speak to how long a plastic fermenter lasts (I have the bigmouth bubblers), but there were two things that led me to them.

The first is they're PLASTIC so I am not going to break them. They're lighter, easier to handle, and if I bump into something while carrying one or drop one, they aren't going to break. They may burst, possibly, but send shards of glass all over including into sensitive body parts? No.

The second is that when I cleaned my primary fermenter (after transferring to a secondary), I could reach my arm all the way inside with a soft cloth to clean it. Wow. Took me about 60 seconds with cleaner inside, sloshing it around w/ the cloth, and rinse and go. I can lay that fermenter down next to the sink and use the sprayer. If I ever go to glass, I'm going to go to the big-mouth versions but so far, I don't see the point.

And FWIW: Whomever said above you'll want to have a secondary so you can have multiple brews going at the same time is right. I transferred my first one to the secondary and then brewed up another batch, which is still fermenting.

As far as that goes--I've been reading and reading about whether it's truly necessary to rack to a secondary and I can't find a lot that indicates it's really necessary, unless you're leaving it in the fermenter for a month or more. My second batch is sitting on the yeast cake and has been for 10 days. I'll let it go close to 21 days, then bottle from there.

If anything, what I want is another 6.5 gallon fermenter so I can have at least two batches going without having to transfer to a secondary.

Yea, my buddy uses plastic and says he's never had a problem. He actually has a glass carboy that he choose not to use. I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to maintenance on most things, so I'm looking for something I can give a good cleaning to and go, rather than going over ensuring it's maintained it's own integrity in regards to the scratches and stuff. haha

I noticed I could get the two carboys (I assume to be the most expensive parts of the kit) for $70 online parted out. I wasn't sure if the remaining parts were worth $100 ... but I'd be willing to pay $15-20 more in person to support the local store and also to start brewing today rather than waiting 10 days or so for shipping. haha

Being lazy in making sure the glass is maintained is not going to end well for you. Glass is great, until it breaks, when it can literally cripple you for life if you are unlucky. If you aren't very careful about cleaning and inspecting the glass, as well as keeping it from running into hard surfaces, you will end up with an un-noticed crack and will end up losing a batch of beer at best, and the function of one of your extremities at worst. A huge glass vessel is not something you want to skimp on maintaining it's integrity.....Plastic is likely a better choice if you don't think you will take very good care of the equipment, or stainless steel if you have the money.

Back