New Brew Pots from Adventures in Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit2it

Reaction score
http://www.homebrewing.org/9-Gallon-Brew-Pot-with-2-welds_p_1684.html

Ordered 2 of these today. Price is quite good at right around 100 dollars each shipped for 9 gallon SS with 2 welded couplings. I'm gonna try to set up a 2 vessel rig with my build in BBQ acting as the stand. Next up is a pump and a bunch of stuff from Bargain Fittings.

Anyway, I'll update with the quality of the pots once I get them.

I saw someone else mention that deal earlier and was considering going in on one myself... Since I've never purchased a kettle before, mind telling me what the second weld is used for? My guess is the thermometer, but I figured it couldn't help to verify.

I saw someone else mention that deal earlier and was considering going in on one myself... Since I've never purchased a kettle before, mind telling me what the second weld is used for? My guess is the thermometer, but I figured it couldn't help to verify.

*ding ding ding* Correct!

*ding ding ding* Correct!

Much obliged :rockin: (edit: I also see that it explicitly states as much on the page; chalk down another failure in reading comprehension!). So in the case of this pot, say I order it with neither the ball valve nor the thermometer installed by them. If I opt not to install a thermometer (seeing as how it's intended to be a brew kettle, I don't know that I see the point, really) and just install my own valve, do I need to seal off the second port somehow?

Much obliged :rockin: (edit: I also see that it explicitly states as much on the page; chalk down another failure in reading comprehension!). So in the case of this pot, say I order it with neither the ball valve nor the thermometer installed by them. If I opt not to install a thermometer (seeing as how it's intended to be a brew kettle, I don't know that I see the point, really) and just install my own valve, do I need to seal off the second port somehow?

They also sell the pots cheaper without any holes. Just don't know about spending 200 bucks on something that just begs to be upgraded.

I saw Austin was selling dual pots for 195 bucks today. 15 and 18 gallon I think they were.

Not trying to poo poo these pots but this hobby drives one to make 10 gallon batches or at least have the option to and if you're going to start building or buying kettles, I highly suggest considering the future and the ability to make larger batches down the road.

Unless you plan on spilling most of your wort on the floor, yes you'd ned to seal of the second tapping. And again, you are right....no point in not using it, but if you don't use it, make sure you use a stainless steel plug.

Not trying to poo poo these pots but this hobby drives one to make 10 gallon batches or at least have the option to and if you're going to start building or buying kettles, I highly suggest considering the future and the ability to make larger batches down the road.

Truth be told, I've been bouncing back and forth between this 9 gallon one and the single-weld keggle they also have for ~$50 more. As you say, may as well look with an eye towards the future; I just haven't convinced myself that, down the road, I'll be wanting to brew 10g of a single batch in one sitting. I have plenty of recipes I like enough to do so, but generally not enough room in the pipeline to keep that much of one recipe as well as all the "experiments" in the plan.

They also sell the pots cheaper without any holes. Just don't know about spending 200 bucks on something that just begs to be upgraded.

I saw Austin was selling dual pots for 195 bucks today. 15 and 18 gallon I think they were.

Yeah, I definitely thought about that and had even contacted and was setting up a meeting with a guy selling some kegs to convert to keggles, but a couple of issues went into my decision. First off I am pretty sure I won't be going to 10 gallons (then again a week ago I was sure I wouldn't be changing from partial mash:drunk:) so these 9 gallon pots should work well for the 5 gallon batches I make. I really didn't want to deal with figuring out if the kegs are 'legal" or the hassel of getting them made into MT/BK, plus they are too tall when using my BBQ Island which is a critical part of making my 2 vessel system in my very low budget.

Second, the burner I'm using is a DSC dual side burner on my BBQ island and it can do the 4.5 gallon boils I have been doing no problem and quite quickly, in fact I have to turn it all the way down to low once it starts, so I am pretty sure 6.5-7 gallons wont be a problem but no way I could do 12 gallons without getting a couple of burners (and full brew stand). Plus My Keezer is a 5 cf so not much point in 10 gallons for me without having to upgrade just about everything I'm currently using.

But most importantly I got a refund for $370.00 dollars recently that went to my pp account. SWMBO doesn't know about this little money find but she does know I have been spending money constantly on HB stuff. So being able to get the 2 vessels for 200 leaves me about 170 for the pump and and hardware. I won't be able to do it for that cheap but then when I spend say 250.00 to get the pump, tubing, fittings, etc it will look like I only spent $80.00 and I wont have to argue about why I spend another 400.00 on more "beer stuff". In fact I will be able to brag about what a good deal I got, look at all this stuff for only $80.00!!;)

Truth be told, I've been bouncing back and forth between this 9 gallon one and the single-weld keggle they also have for ~$50 more. As you say, may as well look with an eye towards the future; I just haven't convinced myself that, down the road, I'll be wanting to brew 10g of a single batch in one sitting. I have plenty of recipes I like enough to do so, but generally not enough room in the pipeline to keep that much of one recipe as well as all the "experiments" in the plan.

They have a single coupling version of this 9 gallon pot for 69.00, but the 2 hole one is a better deal and you can leave the thermometer in during your boil no problem, especially if you get the 4 inch probe. It only sticks out like 2 inches into the kettle.

Cool dog btw, is he yours or just a pic you liked?

Shipping is a lot more on that but still a damn fine deal. But compared to the 9 gallon single holer it is actually about $75.00 more after shipping (90.00 vs 165.00 to where I live in SoCal).

Yeah, I noticed the difference in shipping; I just figure when I'm dropping a large $ number on a kettle, I may as well worry more about whether it's the right one than how big that number gets (within reason, of course!). If I'm absolutely certain that I'd rather have the keggle, I'm OK with dropping an extra $50 for it. That said, I'm still leaning towards the 9-gallon, as I'm less likely to get in trouble for having it turn up on the doorstep :).

And no, he's a friend's dog; my own is photogenic, but can't quite pull off a tux (or rather, does so far too effectively).

I got the single weld and it is a solid pot. As I have mentioned in other threads, for the price, you are not going to get close to thicker SS kettle. Only downfall is I think it would do better with a thicker base.

Recently rolled a 7.5 gallon boil with no issues.

I got the single weld and it is a solid pot. As I have mentioned in other threads, for the price, you are not going to get close to thicker SS kettle. Only downfall is I think it would do better with a thicker base.

Recently rolled a 7.5 gallon boil with no issues.

Nice, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get them.

Got the pots yesterday. They are pretty damn nice. The welds on the coupling looks really good and they really are 18 gauge so quite heavy duty. Nice handles and a decent lid to boot. The down side as someone mentioned above is the bottoms aren't all that thick and in fact feel thinner than the 18 gauge sides but maybe are the same:confused:

If they would have gone with a thicker bottom (can't realisticly expect tri-clad bottom at this price) I would say they were the best deal ever on SS brew pots. As it is I would still say it's a helluva deal.

Back