New brew kettle cleaning situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thos

Reaction score
So I just recently stepped up to a 8 gallon stainless steel brew kettle! I received it just the other day and I noticed that it had some black dust that was on the inside of it. This may sound dumb... But what would be the most affective way to clean it?

PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is the best overall cleaner I have ever used in the brewery. It is not a sanitizer, it is an alkali based cleaner that cleans just about anything you throw at it. It can be kind of pricey, but I think it's worth it. Put a little in solution in your kettle and use a green scotch brite pad on any spots you see and it should do the job. If you have the time, you can fill it and let it soak, but then you end up using more PBW. Either way, it should take care of it.

I always clean a new SS pot w/ Bar Keepers Friend cleanser using a Scotch Brite pad & thoroughly rinse.
After brewing I use my pump to do CIP w/ a solution of B-Brite followed by a thorough rinse. It cleans my lines, pump, CFC, & pot.

Back