New biab guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Pearce

Reaction score
Hi all. Starting my first brew day this weekend. I have a new 15 gallon brew kettle and old brewing equipment from 10 years ago, carboy, bottling bucket, bottles etc.. It’s great to be here because I’ll need all the help I can get. My past experience has been a few extract kits that for the most part did not turn out very good. I’m ready to up my game.

Bob Pearce

Welcome to the hobby (obsession).
Extracts with steeping grains is how I started and moved into BIAB with 10g kettle. The steeping process with extracts helped me learn how to handle mashing, without worrying about conversion efficiency since extract provided most of the sugars.

Welcome to the hobby (obsession).
Extracts with steeping grains is how I started and moved into BIAB with 10g kettle. The steeping process with extracts helped me learn how to handle mashing, without worrying about conversion efficiency since extract provided most of the sugars.
We’ll see how it goes for me and all grain. I’ve been viewing every video I can find in biab. Hoping for the best.

Welcome back! I was out 20 years and got back early this year. Had no equipment and started all over going BIAB this time and has been working great. My old recipes still worked.

My biggest deal so far is getting my efficiency up to where it should be. I’m thinking of sparging until it gets to where it should be.

Milling the grains finer is the quickest way to increase your efficiency. If you mill your own, set the mill to it's smallest setting. If the brew shop grinds them, ask them to double mill them. A couple places online will also double mill them. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Home Brew mobile app

Milling the grains finer is the quickest way to increase your efficiency. If you mill your own, set the mill to it's smallest setting. If the brew shop grinds them, ask them to double mill them. A couple places online will also double mill them. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Home Brew mobile app
Ok thanks. I’ll get the store to double mill or get my own mill. Thanks for the info.

Back