New BIAB all grainer water questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianflean

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently moved up to BIAB in an electric urn, couple of batches went well, but only about
65% efficiency, so did some reading and found an analysis of my water:

http://www.hamburgwasser.de/wasseranalysen.html?download=123

Looks like the ph is mad high. Can anyone recommend how to address this? Also, if anyone knows what else is good / bad with my water (it's in German, but the main words are the same) and how to treat it, would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi all,

Recently moved up to BIAB in an electric urn, couple of batches went well, but only about
65% efficiency, so did some reading and found an analysis of my water:

http://www.hamburgwasser.de/wasseranalysen.html?download=123

Looks like the ph is mad high. Can anyone recommend how to address this? Also, if anyone knows what else is good / bad with my water (it's in German, but the main words are the same) and how to treat it, would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I imagine your efficiency problems are mostly a result of a coarser than optimal crush and/or not sparging. However your karbonathaerte (your alkalinity) is definitely too high (9.2 dH or about 164ppm as CaCO3). Dilution with RO and some acid would be needed to counteract it. I'd try out Bru'n Water.

Step mash. Start at 128-133(53-56C) and do a 1qt/lb mash. (~2L/Kg). It's an acid rest and I do mine for 20 minutes.
Then raise the temp by adding hot water to 140F (60C). Rest for 10 minutes.
Mash at 150 (65C) for 60 minutes.

+1 on avoiding 5.2
+1 on using RO
+1 on using Bru'n Water - great program
If all else fails, brew porters and stouts with lots of dark grains.

Other than the excessive alkalinity, that is a fine water for brewing.

Acidification is an option for that water and will neutralize the alkalinity. However it is possible that the resulting acid anion concentration could be high enough to taste. Other options to treat that tap water are to pre-boil and decant the clear water off the sediment, or perform a lime-softening treatment. The easiest treatment is to run the water through a RO machine, but its also the most wasteful. As with any of those pretreatment options, you will have to perform a minor degree of acidification when brewing pale beers since any of those pretreatment options only remove a portion of the alkalinity and pale beer mashing requires alkalinity levels that are less than zero.

PS: 5.2 Stabilizer works great for those that don't check their mash pH and doesn't work AT ALL for those that do check pH. Ignorance is bliss! In more ways than one.

Back