New Belgium sold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I love their traditional ales, I hope they don't change the recipes!!
This isn't that Belgo-Brazilian cartel buying them. The Japanese seem to have an understanding of the opportunity to buy something that's of value in itself as is, and not trash it. Look at how Asahi has bought the likes of Pilsner Urquell and Fullers because they actually want the beer, and the opportunity to distribute it. Or so it seems so far.

As an employee-owned company, was this voted on by the workers? Why would they do that? Did they all get helicopters and corner offices?

I don't believe the employees have voted yet.

I don’t think it matters if the employees vote or not, the article stated that the employees are not the controlling majority. Years ago I worked for a ESOP company and they were bought out about 5 years ago and the employees did not want to sell but in the end they were all paid out after the acquisition. So I’m thinking this is happening.

what I have read so far states that they have not voted yet, but every employee will receive at least $100,000 in a retirement fund, some employees much more.

There are over 7,000 breweries in America, if you don't want to patronize one that sells to a big group there are plenty more to spend your money on.

As an employee-owned company, was this voted on by the workers? Why would they do that? Did they all get helicopters and corner offices?

"Members of New Belgium's ESOP — current and former employees included — will vote on the deal before it is finalized, a New Belgium spokesperson said."

Last edited:

Yes they voted on it, and the the longtime employees got big, apparently irresistible sums of money — heard it through the grapevine. Edit: my grapevine was wrong, the deal hasn’t gone through, but apparently the employees did vote in favor and now there are other hoops for them to jump through before it’s a done deal.

Last edited:
https://www.newbelgium.com/a-letter-from-kim/

"More than 300 employees are receiving over $100,000 of retirement money with some receiving significantly greater amounts. Over the life of our ESOP, including this transaction, the total amount paid to current and former employees will be nearly $190 million. We will have helped a significant number of people realize the upside of having equity in something, being a part of the American Dream! "

So long as they don't ruin the beers (and it doesn't sound like Kirin will do so) sounds like a good deal for the employees and will give the company access to additional capital which can only mean added leverage for shelf space vs. American light lagers, which can only be a good thing. Am I seeing things clearly?

I have to disagree about ruining the beer. Im from Ft collins, and I hate to say it but the only thing keeping them around imo is the name. I sent a keg of fat tire back because I thought it was infected. My friend said the distributor was pissed. Haha, had one and realized, oops, thats what it tastes like. Then they rebranded and I thought yeah this is their chance to lead the way again, and they played it safe putting out average offerings. They do have some one offs that are really good. Thanks for enjoying their beer, I always love it when people like the beer from my hometown and you bet 26 years ago, when a lot of the country was drinking bud light in red cups our high school parties were fat tire, sunshine wheat with lemon slices, and at Christmas frambozen. In todays world it saddens me that my beloved hometown brew doesnt really produce a 4 pack even, let alone anything I want to buy. Sunshine wheat I am sure is still good, but I am never in the mood because I will probably forever be burned out on it.

I dont know much about the company but it is my understanding they did and do do right by their employees. And that it is a cool and unique place to work and wind power or something. Honestly i felt a little excitement in them being bought out because maybe someone can bring them back to glory. Right now crooked stave, odd 13, weldwerks, jessup farms, horse and dragon, etc...seem to be leading the way. I should look up the staff as I am sure I have an old friend or two who works there.

One thing I miss is they would sale their "seasonal" kegs for 48. I was scoring citradelic, accumulation, and blue paddle for less than a dollar a beer in a keg. Miss those days for sure. Left hand is the same. Nitro milk stout remains good but a lot of their new offerings are meh. I used to take the back roads home from boulder and fill ice cold growlers of blackjack porter to drink in the basement with my wife. Miss those days so much. Sorry to go off topic, glad someone started this thread and remain curious where it will lead.
So long as they don't ruin the beers (and it doesn't sound like Kirin will do so) sounds like a good deal for the employees and will give the company access to additional capital which can only mean added leverage for shelf space vs. American light lagers, which can only be a good thing. Am I seeing things clearly?

At least the Japanese understand quality control. It could be a lot worse.

I have read some of Peter Bouckaert's methods especially with respect to souring and Belgian techniques and it really amazed me. I think I had been convinced of the same negative stereotype myself.

That being said, I've had fresh fat tire and it really does make a difference. Their distribution chain kinda isn't kind to their beers...

Back