New Belgium Lips of Faith Belgo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
I really LOVE this beer. Enough that I want a LOT more of it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/59811

From the bottle/website:
Belgo IPA is a Belgian twist on India Pale Ale made with five varieties of hops. Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo hops are pitched in the kettle. Cascade, Amarillo, and Willamette hops are added during dry-hopping. Medium-bodied, Belgo opens with citrus and floral tones from generous hopping, then gives way to soft fruit tones implied by the authentic Trappist yeast strain and finishes clean.
Just the facts Ma'am...
IBU - 70
Hops - Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo
Malts - Pale, C120, Honey malt
OG - 18.5
TG - 3

So they did make this somewhat easy, as I have the OG/FG and the ABV and hop and malt bill for the most part...

The trappist yeast strain, I am thinking WLP 500 to cover that..

Anyone tried to clone this before?

Haven't tried it, but am working on it right now. I have some yeast that I have "corralled" from a few bottles and I plan to start a culture prior to brewing my clone.
They do make it easy to come up with something that will likely be similar. My biggest concern is trying to get close to the NB carbonating levels. I would say that is the number one thing I admire between Belgo and Ranger is the enjoyable carbonation levels that they have.
I've noticed problems gettting bubbles to cascade up from the bottom in my other brews. I typically have good head retention, but little to no cascade effect. I recently tried placing the CO2 on the outlet post, and this helped somewhat.
Sorry if this seems like a thread jack or tangent. I'd be happy to post up my recipe on this one, once I work it up on BeerSmith.

I'd be happy to post up my recipe on this one, once I work it up on BeerSmith.

Any luck?

Enjoying this beer right now and it's really quite good. My first thought was that it tasted a lot like their Trippel with extra hops, but it's more than that.

Back