New beer fridge/Kegerator project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjohn3006

Reaction score
I have been brewing about 8 months and am bending to the pressure of friends to keg. I live in a small townhouse and don't have room for a full size keezer with 4 taps and 5 gallon kegs. So I am doing small scale. I have a mini fridge I have been using for beer bottles but due to the adjustment knob and evaporator and compressor it is awkward and not possible to get a small keg in there without being on its side. and only 1 will fit.

So I went on craigslist to see what I could find and came upon this! For only $100, they go for a LOT more online.

Lighted sign, lighted inside, glass door, and ALL of the compressor and whatnot are outside the fridge in the sign area allowing full use of the insides.

Here it is with my 2.5 gallon keg which easily fits. But it looks like I will have to put them in sideways to have two kegs. I have been told sideways works as long as the gas in is at the top and the beer out is at the bottom. Also, the dip tube in the 2.5 is straight and hugs the edge, so if on its side and positioned so out is on the bottom, It should be dang near empty before the level gets below the dip tube. Sideways would also allow me to have a shelf for bottles too.

List of things to do in no particular order:
Paint sides(they say rockstar in glitter and stars)
Make custom sign panel saying Homebrew or beer or something
Rig two separate switches so that I can turn on and off the internal lights and sign. (right now they are on 100% of the time)
Build base with wheels and conceal tank and regulator inside base
Tap tower and taps and spill collector
Glass holder for beer glasses
Get lock re-keyed. they did not have as key. Being able to lock it so little hands can't get to the beer would make me happy.

Should be a fun project.

fridge.jpg

Update 8/20. Base is on 90 pound rated wheels. so it should support 360 lbs. I stood on it and it was fine.
Here are my regulator, 20oz paintball tank with adapter and my 2 way distributor.
base.jpg

The base structure is complete. It held me laying on it, so the 120 or so pounds of fridge, beer and everything should be no problem at all.
Now to start drilling holes and mounting things. I have some 1/8th MDF that will go around it and will all be painted black.
stand.jpg

I tested the gas system. 24oz paintball tank hooked up to my regulator with an adapter. Everything sitting at 8PSI and no leaking overnight.
The 20oz and 9oz tanks I had already are over 5 years old and so despite their being used rarely, they are "expired" so I had to buy a new one, so I went 24oz
gas.jpg

This will get my rasberry pi in it too and this 3' LCD display will show temp and whats on tap.

The_littest_desktop.jpg

Update

Here are the two kegs and how they will fit. Again, my dip tubes are not bent inward, they go straight down and hug the side, so as long as I keep the out side down, I should have no trouble getting almost all of the beer out before sputter.
One of these kegs is only about 1/4 full and I turned it on its side and got no leaks and beer coming out of the tap.
kegs.jpg

I drilled a hole in the drip pan underneath and fed the gas line through the drip hole. It is not big enough for two hoses so my distributor will have to go inside the fridge. No biggie. There is room.
but the tank and regulator will be nicely hidden in the base.

One tap installed!!! I have placed an order for the last hoses and connectors I need. Probably next week it will be functionally done. Then I need to to painting and put the sides on the base and whatnot.
tap.jpg

Back