New Barrel Owner Tutorial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood

and then part 2 are better than the clawhammer supply brewery youtube on the same thing.

The foeder not a barrel but leak proofing etc useful to know.

look here at the advice I gave someone else

If you have other questions after reviewing the content I previously posted, I'll be happy to address your concerns.

I've had barrels for 6-7 years now.

If you'd like you can PM me and I can tell you what we do and hopefully answer any questions. I, along with two other friends, have been using 15 gallon bourbon barrels for some time. We recently packaged an old stock ale clone that sat for a year or so and all the feedback so far has been great.

Mine came this week. I won't be able to brew the beer I want to put in it for a few weeks so I figure its at least 6 weeks before I'm ready to fill it. I was thinking I'd put it in a black contractor bag and mist the outside with water before closing it up to help ensure the wood doesn't dry. I'm debating buy an relatively inexpensive but drinkable bourbon and dumping that in for storage. From what I've read I don't think I want to fill it with water for flavor reasons.

Everything they said ^^^^, plus, I use 5 gallon barrels for wine, mead, cider, and beer. Because the oak/spirit character is going to change over time and with every batch, I never know how long my stuff is staying in the barrel. The port stayed in barrel for half a year, the red wine I'm getting ready to move after two months. The beers? Sometimes as short as a week or two.

To avoid opening the extended-aging barrels too often to top up, I limit the amount of O2 transfer and evaporation by sealing all sides of my barrels with wax. If I was using larger barrels, I would probably seal less surface area. Additionally, with wine, I always have some leftover after filling a barrel for topping up.

The barrel with red wine is going to get a sour beer soon, so then it will become something of a solera-style; where I bottle maybe 4 gallons out of it 1-2 times per year and then top up with fresh wort. For now, though, it's acquiring some serious red wine character to go with the oak.

Below, my assistant helping me wax barrels and filling up one from the fermenter.
IMG_0087.JPG
Port 1.JPG

Back