New APA recipe development

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
I have decided to pursue an APA from scratch, recipe wise.

I am starting with choosing my base malt combo. Using a clean, neutral yeast and classic cascade/centennial hopping so the malt is in the right perspective.

I plan to then move on to choosing a Munich and then crystal, then yeast then mash temp, then hops.

I brewed one combo a week or two ago and two more today, so I will be evaluating them side by side. I think it will be a delicious process.

Does anyone have words of wisdom from their own experience?

Ok, all three of the base malt combos are bottled.

Side note, 5th and 6th generation WLP090 seem to form a more stable yeast cake.

Well, most popular APA I brewed had a grain bill of 90% Vienna, 4.5% Victory, 4.5% Carared and 1% Caraaroma mashed low and fermented nice and dry with US-05. Lots of flavor without being cloying or sweet or clashing with the hops.

Ok with some time, the all-Danish malt beer is winning. It has the cleanest flavour and beautiful lacing. I love it when progress is delicious.

Will be soliciting opinions tomorrow at a Friday bar (pretty typical at large companies here in Denmark.)

Latest posts

Back