New and eager brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjorge3442

Reaction score
Whats going on everyone. I just started brewing a month ago and I finally was able to try my first beer the other day. I purchased a Deluxe starter kit from Northern Brewer with a Brown ale extract kit. After priming with brown sugar and waiting three weeks, the beer came out pretty damn good. I tweaked the recipe by adding about 12oz of fresh, organic coffee from a coffee shop here in philly that is one of my person favorites. So far I am missing an entire case and my friends cant get enough of it.

I quickly moved on to All grain brewing last week and brewed my first batch out of cooler. I did a DFH 60mi IPA clone that is currently in the secondary. According to my numbers so far, I came out with pretty decent numbers as far as efficiency. Still trying to get this whole mashing thing done.

Thats all for now. Expect to see me around here quite a bit.

-Steve

Welcome aboard. What do you plan on brewing next?

I think I am going to do a black IPA or a hoppy Brown ale. Not really sure yet. I also plan on getting a tripel going so I can let it sit in my basement and just do its thing, since I was able to score a few 5 gallon food grade buckets. Theres so many options, I just cant figure out what I want to brew next.

Welcome!

My suggestion if you are going to ferment in 5 gallon buckets is to either drop the batch size down to 4 gallons, or use some fermcap in there to keep the krausen from foaming up out of control. Most primary fermenters are bigger, like 6.5 gallons or more to account for the krausen. Or if you are only using the 5 gallon buckets for secondary, it will work well. Just remember that after the initial fermentation is complete you can bottle and let it condition in there too. And for a tripel you will REALLY want to rack into secondary just to make sure you don't get bad flavors from the yeast. I don't usually use a secondary, but I would for something like that.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back