New All Grain Equipment question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
I picked up 2 welded kegs for a HLT and Brew pot. I have a Lowes 10 gallon for an MLT. I am also getting a march pump and Banjo burners to retro fit my old mega grill in to my brew stand (angle iron reinforced). I plan on picking up the long premium bulk head from bargain fittings for the Lowes cooler. I would like to do a pick up tube, but don't think I can since the bulkhead will sit so low. I thought about a straight tube feeding the bulk head but haven't seen straight tube under a false bottom used anywhere so I am assuming this is an issue. Any suggestions for a false bottom solution on a 10 gallon cooler would be appreciated.

Next, do I need a pick up tube on my HLT and brew pot? I assumed I would lose the bottom few inches of water on the HLT/brew pot and the water/wort would feed as normal. Then I saw a pick up tube similar to a whirlpool but closer to the outer edge on the brew pot that if whirlpooled seems like it would get more wort out than no pickup tube.

If this post should be in a different section please let me know and I will start asking questions there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One more, do I use 3/8" ID hose for 1/2" barbed fittings? I read that somewhere and figure I should ask .

On my 10 gallon cooler I built a manifold out of copper. It attaches to the bulkhead with a T-fitting inside the cooler and the manifold attaches to that. I used manifold design ideas from the appendix in How To Brew. I have no problem getting my desired efficiency, avoiding channeling, and picking up all the wort I need.

On the brew pot I would definitely do a pickup tube, HLT is less important unless you max out the volume of it then it would help. On my first build I just installed the weldless bulkhead and valve high enough up that I could attach a stainless 90 degree elbow on the inside for a pick-up tube. Much cheaper than buying an actual pick-up tube.

What hose are you looking at? I use 1/2" ID silicone tubing on all my equipment. if your barbs screw into 1/2 npt then I would say use the 1/2" ID tubing.

A lot of what you ask is a mater of preference.

I do not use a pickup on my kettle or HLT. I specifically chose not to us a pickup in my kettle, I also dump quite a bit wort in order to get clearer wort.
Lots of people do use pickups, for various reasons, but for me an extra pound of grain and gallon of water is a small price for simplicity.

As for running a straight tube under the false bottom, it does not gain you anything. Fluid under the false bottom will flow to the bulkhead, no need to pipe it from the center. A dip tube gains you a bit by creating a small siphon letting you get a bit more out of the mash tun.

I do not use 3/8 in tubing on a 1/2 in barb in my setup, I have used both 5/8 and 1/2 in tubing.

Good Luck

Thanks guys, I think I am going with a 12" false bottom with 1/2" silicone between the false bottom and the bulk head. It will resolve my straight pipe issue. Time to build...

Back