New 4 Port manifold, clean it, or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_57401

Reaction score
Hello. I just took delivery of a four Port manifold with mfl connections. Looks like it is a block of aluminum, with machined passages.

I'm a little apprehensive about putting it into service. Should I disassemble and clean it? It looks like the threads were sealed with pipe sealing compound, so may be inviting a leak (would use Teflon tape, so should not leak,but tightening valves into aluminum may cause a crack or stripped threads).

Thoughts on this?

I'm not sure why you would clean the inside of a CO2 manifold.
If you are concerned I would just blow a bit of 50PSI co2 through each port vented to atmosphere. I would think it should get anything loose out and anything else isn't going to move.

ever think about putting a swapped tank of CO2 in service?
or if you get a nice clean one filled, ever think about what the inside of the tank that fills yours looks like?

I have. Makes me drink until I forget about it.

Thanks for the perspective. I like the idea of flushing with co2.

Some posts a while back complained of off flavors after adding a manifold. Upon inspection, the manifold was greasy inside. Was it truly the source? Was there an off flavor at all?

Back