New 12v pumps may be on the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbarber69

Reaction score
Here is my back and forth with us solar pumps recently. And see how it never hurts to ask. This is copied from my inbox so all the replies are backwards read from bottom up.

Looks like we might just end up with the best of both worlds.
It looks like I will be able to produce (at a reasonable cost) a full stainless steel head a pump with a speed adjustment integrated in it what will be able to produce up to 20 LPM or 5.28 GPM.
I will let you know once I have any in stock.
Thanks so much for your suggestions.
All the best
Mike

Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 3:16 PM
To: Michael P. Kehoe
Subject: Re: New Listings

It actually sounds perfect. In reality, since it's a magdrive pump, speed control isn't really essential. Speed can be tapered down using a ball valve on the outflow. And too many features equals too much in the way of cost. I don't know how your pice scaling works but I take it you could offer something in the 4-5 GPM range for 85-90 dollars going off what you offer now and their respective current pricing. A full stainless head would be nice but it looks like the ones you offer now are actually more expensive than their AC current equivalents in the home brew community. I would like to keep the small size obviously it would be slightly larger than your current model. But it would be still be smaller than a march.

I really appreciate you allowing me to bounce these ideas off you. And hopefully your company could soon offer more options to the home brew community.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2014, at 1:48 PM, "Michael P. Kehoe" <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks so much.
I will run this by the tech department. Who knows, a few years ago I couldn’t get Stainless Steel fittings run by them now we are offering pumps with full Stainless Steel heads.
I will let you know if we come up with one.
My preference would be one that would have speed control like some of our other pumps. So a Stainless Steel head (or fittings) with a higher flow rate and speed control sounds like it would cover all the bases.
Mike

Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 2:42 PM

Yes a slower flow rate is usually necessary during the course of a brew day. I control mine with a pwm led dimmer controller. I use a 3gpm pump and I'm only doing 5 gallon batches. I have the ability to go larger is I want only I think I'd like to have a bit faster speed when I'm recirculating to whirlpool in my boil pot. Most home brewers do this with a 120v march pump at a rate between 7 and 8 GPM. My setup is a modular one with all my vessels having as small a footprint as possible for portability. And to cut down on power costs and needs running my pumps from a AC-dc power supply is perfect. And your pumps are small enough that I can mount directly to my outflow ports on the pots. I am more than happy with solar pump I have and am planning on incorporating at least 3 more in the future because the cost is right within my budget. I can easily make do with the 3gpm model and if I need more power I could chain them together to get faster rate but I would like to see something that can keep up with a march or chugger pump and still be cost effective. And I think an intermediate product between what you offer and the march series of pumps would be just right for the small time home brewers out there that are fighting the urge to dump nearly 200 dollars on a pump that is probably too much pump for their needs.

I have to admit that when that tiny pump arrived in that tiny box, like most of the people you see in the forums. I was skeptical to say the least. But I am glad I took the risk and went for the cheaper pump. It's saved me money and helped me move my brewery build along much faster knowing that that critical piece of kit was able to be checked off my list.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2014, at 1:21 PM, "Michael P. Kehoe" <[email protected]> wrote:

Walter,
Interesting. While I have had some inquire about a higher head height many have asked about a slower flow rate. Even asking if it is OK to “choke” it down by means of a valve.
May I ask why you think some prefer a slower flow rate? Perhaps if you could educate me I might be able to convince the engineering department it worthiness. After all it was the homebrew community that got us to start offering Stainless Steel fittings and now a full stainless steel head.
Yours truly,
Mike Kehoe
US Solar Pumps

Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 2:16 PM

I assure you that if a higher flow rate was offered the homebrew community would tear your doors down to get them.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2014, at 1:02 PM, "Michael P. Kehoe" <[email protected]> wrote:

It would not appear so. The TS pumps are constructed a bit different and there is not a large enough demand for a higher flow rate.
May I ask what is your intended use?
Mike
US Solar Pumps

Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 1:54 PM
To: US Solar Pumps

Is there any way that in the future we could see a pump in the 12VTSS series that offers up to something around the 5 GPM range?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2014, at 12:30 PM, US Solar Pumps <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear
Copyright (c) 2014 Zen Cart. Powered by Zen Cart
This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you feel that you have received this email in error, please send an email to [email protected]
This e-mail is sent in accordance with the US CAN-SPAM Law in effect 01/01/2004. Removal requests can be sent to this address and will be honored and respected.

If your contact ever asks again, the answer to the "why would you throttle back a pump?" is "to avoid compacting the grain bed in the mash tun". Then you segue into explaining what that means, and you might just hook him into home brewing. The rest could be history! Full-stainless 8 gpm DC servo pumps for $60! :ban:

Cheers! ;)

It would be nice if the cost is kept down, but something tells me that when all is said and done, they will offer these in the Chugger price range.

How I would love to be wrong!

My hope was to just get a little bit stronger version of what they offer already. I like what this guy is getting at, but with all the added features I'm afraid to see the price. But if it can be kept even a little bit cheaper than a march/chugger I think it'll he worth it. These guys do make pretty awesome little pumps.

I don't understand the infatuation with whirlpooling on a home brew scale? can you really build and compact a hop trub cone in a 10 gallon pot? what's the point? You don't need to whirlpool to work some hops in a post boil, hopstand. The idea of enhanced extraction is a bunch of hockey pucks too.

If you have a 300 gallon pot, excuse my comment.

Why be hatin' on strong-ish pumps? ;)

Aside from cone building or the small-scale feasibility thereof, if using an IC the stronger the whirlpool the quicker the chill.

Cheers!

Considering that they're already selling this one which will do 6 GPM and has a full stainless head on it for $185.00 I wouldn't expect anything much less expensive than a Chugger.

I'll keep hoping, though.

Whirlpooling for trub separation is nice. But I also use whirlpooling for batch cooling. And the faster I can move the liquid the less time my wort sits on late addition hops.

My latest message received talks about using the stainless head of the 185 pump and the lower body of the $85-$112 speed controlled pumps which are nearly the same size of the models currently used by the home brew community. The problem I've brought up is that their stainless head currently only comes in bsp threads. But I have been assured that if they can cost effectively build this thing that NPT threaded models will be produced as well. They are aware that we are a good percentage of their customer base. And are willing to make changes as the customers needs are realized. Which is why they sell the pumps that we buy. They were just under the assumption that since so many emailed in to ask about using valves to limit flow, that they assumed a lower output speed was what we wanted. If you want this to happen then send them an email and voice your opinion. It's the only way it'll happen.

Why be hatin' on strong-ish pumps? ;)

Aside from cone building or the small-scale feasibility thereof, if using an IC the stronger the whirlpool the quicker the chill.

Cheers!

Sorry. No hate here. Just fighting the stigma that anything less than full stainless chugger, etc. is bad. Ever get the feeling we might be pushing new homebrewers into products and practices that really aren't necessary and cost:benefit ratio just isn't right?

But each of us has our own technique to achieve different results. And we need certain tools to meet these ends. It's nice to know we can count on certain companies to listen to those needs.

I've been waiting and messaging back and forth for info on when a npt version will be out for testing. So far it's gonna be a while before they are manufactured. But for the sake of testing the rep I spoke to gave me a good deal on the bsp model. I'm getting one of them in the meantime and will find a way to get it all threaded together. I'll get some video of everything once it's mocked up and see how much faster of a whirlpool I can get going with this thing. And I'll test the speed control even though I don't see it being used in my setup.

I've been down with the flu for about a week. In that time I got impatient and considered getting the bsp model that is now up for grabs on ussolarpumps.com. They have the npt model on back order from the factory, but no idea when they will ship. After talking it out with them they offered me a substantial discount so I could get the bsp model and spend the rest on adapter fittings if necessary. So what I found was that the threads are so close that a little extra Teflon and you would have not known that the threads were different if it hadn't already been discussed or listed as such. Success. I got it up and running in no time and posted some video on YouTube. The new pump runs 135 bucks. Only a few dollars less than a chugger. But they also offer free shipping. So it only cost 135. It's barely bigger than the 3gpm model they make. And for those that are hatin' on all stainless pumps, I can tell you there are many benefits but the only one that matters is that I can put this pump inline and not have to worry about snapping the pump off at the head if things get too heavy. I'm hoping to see if they will offer up a hbt limited discount code or something to make it easier for those of us that might still be skeptical. I personally like the 12v pumps because I don't need extra extension cords (my control panel has a 12v 10a power supply built in). And I don't have to worry about my pumps getting wet and killing me. Anyway here is the video.

http://youtu.be/lFWKgjQXT9w

Here are some photos of it hooked up and a size comparison to the 3gpm pump.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397962454.072222.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397962466.040137.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397962494.196049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's available now. The bsp threads barely make a difference. If you want to wait for the npt versions go ahead. This pump is nice. It's only rated at 6gpm where the march is rated around 8 I think. But I used the 3gpm pumps for a few brews now with great success. I'll be brewing with the new pump later this week (when my kit shows up and if the weather holds). I can give a more detailed look into how effective this pump is. One of my favorite reasons to use the smaller pumps is that I can reduce hose lengths and fluid loss. Because I can position the pumps directly in line. I've actually switched most of my pump inlets to female camlocks.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398053608.229865.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398053647.290197.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back