Never throw out beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
We will see! Was freelancing with brew and since I didn't have any hops, wanted to add flav and abv. So.. Light LME pound of honey and half cup molasses. Just bottled it last night and doing a taste test on the flat ?beer? Was awful. Very sour. We will see if all I did was waste 3lb malt and 50 caps!
David

So you added light lme, honey, and molasses to completely un-hopped beer?
If you don't like it now, you never will. I'm assuming it fermented out before bottling.

Ya, fermented like crazy. If it wasn't for being sour it would be ok

Hard to explain, not citrus. Ya just got me to crack a bottle to taste again. Not as sour as last night, but v watery. With just LME,honey and molasses would not have expected any sour. Guess when I heard, "ya can never ruin beer", I took that as a personal challenge! Am too cheap to dump it, so will update this as it either improves- or when I get out of the ER.

At some point in my readings here on HBT, I ran across a discussion of dumping beer. Lots of alternative suggestions to dumping were mentioned. But one that stuck out was to give it to your wife or girlfriend as hair rinse in the shower "because if beer is going down the drain, it should pass over a naked woman first".

I don't remember who gets the credit for that quote, but it stuck with me. :D

I would see how it pans out with age. What yeast? No hops and your making beer?

Without hops you didn't make beer. By definition, beer contains water, grain, yeast and hops. You made an alcoholic beverage for sure, but you didn't make beer.

Without hops you didn't make beer. By definition, beer contains water, grain, yeast and hops. You made an alcoholic beverage for sure, but you didn't make beer.

Not all beers contain hops, but most make a good effort toward some bittering herb or have a replacement to balance the sweetness of unfermented sugars. Did it finish really dry? What gravity did it get down to?

I would quickly get brewing again, it should be very very hoppy, bittering and aroma, then drink the two brews as half and halves, it can work out quite well.

I would find a way of drinking it, even mixing with lemonade for a shandy (well for my visitors, no I didn't say friends ).

Beers origionally were made with spices I believe. I made a gruit ale. Turned out pretty lemony for me. Tart,lemons,dry. Ok for summer.

I'd force my self to drink it as a lesson to never do this again. But they also tell me that I'm crazy. I made some horrible beers that i drank, some took several months (6+) to get through the 2 cases. I refuse to dump any beer I make out of sheer pride and stupidity.

Latest posts

Back