Never Give Up.....on a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fragglerock

Reaction score
I've had a few this evening and am coming down with what will probably turn into a sinus infection, so please forgive the rambling nature.

Today I bottled a beer that I had all but given up on. I had missed my efficiency by a few points during my mash, the temperature range was off during fermentation (didn't have a reliable method for controlling and it's been unusually hot lately) and I probably let it sit far too long in primary. I was about to dump it and my wife reminded me of a similar episode I had with a red ale. Before even tasting said red I thought it was a lost cause so I only bottled a six pack worth. The red ale turned out to be phenomenal and I still kick myself for not bottling more. So today, after reminding me of the red ale folly, I tasted the beer a bit and guess what...awesome. All this is to say guys and gals, don't quit on a beer. While it might not turn out as expected, it still might turn out great.

There's a saying, "Time heals all wounds" and while it isn't exactly true, time can do wonders for a beer. I really like my stouts after they have had at least a year in the bottle. The flavors meld and the beer becomes so smooth.

And don't use efficiency as a reason, it has no effect on the beers outcome

I was told early in my (still young) brewing career that if you don't like a beer then wait a few weeks, still don't like it then wait a few months, still don't like it then cook with it...but don't ever dump it!

(I've dumped one or two)

Latest posts

Back