Nervous New Brewer - Chlorine in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrHepcat

Reaction score
I have two batches going from city tap water (4ppm Chlorine) and never used any campden tablets. I think the tap water tastes fine here. (Natomas area of Sacramento.)

I certainly will use campden tablets in the future.

I did not let water sit for any time, but I did do full boils.

Did I ruin my beer? Should I expect a poor aftertaste? Am I going to think I have a poor aftertaste because I am expecting one now?

I know. Many of the posts in this section are from new and nervous brewers. I'm adding one.

Nah, you're fine. From my understanding chlorine will boil off in the first 10 mins or so, but chloramine won't. Campden tablets will take care of both.

I think you will be fine. Get a few batches under your belt. Keep reading and learning and perfecting your process.
Its all uphill from here. RDWHAHB

That's a nice relief.

Maybe another reason to get that big kettle and do full boils, eh?

Glad I spent the extra money on it.

Simply boiling your wort is not going to fix any problems. You need to dechlorinate your water, period. In my experience, if it's a light beer, you may get away with a drinkable beer; however, you will need to ensure that the chlroine and chloramines are removed thoroughly before you brew different styles, or you will end up with disgusting beer. I use two carbon filters for the chlorine and campden for the chloramine. Chlorephenols have a very low taste threshold, so it;s not one of those things where a little bit won't hurt. I've have batches ruined by this and it sucks.

I figured there would be differing opinions.

Please note however, my city water does not contain chloramine. It also tastes very good.

I figured there would be differing opinions.

Please note however, my city water does not contain chloramine. It also tastes very good.

if it tastes very good you cant make disgusting beer unless your recipe sucks.
There is lots of time to learn water chemistry.

My water is HEAVILY chlorinated, so I've resorted to using bottled spring water. It has made a big difference in the way my brews taste.

if it tastes very good you cant make disgusting beer unless your recipe sucks.
There is lots of time to learn water chemistry.

With all respect, I completely disagree, based on my own experience and all brewing literature I've ever read. My city water tastes pretty good, but even a little chlorine will create chlorophenols, which have a very low taste threshold. Even if you don't have enough chlorine in your water to affect the taste of the water itself, it reacts with the malt and can make some disgusting beer. I've had it happen to me numerous times, but not since I've employed the methods I mentioned above.

So no, just because you think your water tastes fine, does not mean you will always get good beer. A new brewer likely doesn't need to screw around with advanced water chemistry, but he/she absolutely needs to be aware of the effect of chlorine.

Honestly I feel it depends on the style. I used bottles water at the beginning but then used untreated city water for a few brews. One beer I noticed a Band-Aid, medicinal taste in was my hefe. I then started to let my brewing water sit a few days before I used it and still the same issue. I found out they use Chloramine. I now use Camden tablets and never had any further issues. If your water has a greenish tint it has chloramine in it.

Camden tablets are cheap, treat a lot of water with chlorine, and work nearly instantly. Fer example, I soaked a bucket in bleach water for several days, then refilled it with tap water and dropped in half a tab. No chlorine smell in two minutes. I use a pill cutter to divide them into quarters to treat 5 gallons at a time.

But if your tap water having a little chlorine makes good beer without them, fuggedabouddit.

With all respect, I completely disagree, based on my own experience and all brewing literature I've ever read. My city water tastes pretty good, but even a little chlorine will create chlorophenols, which have a very low taste threshold. Even if you don't have enough chlorine in your water to affect the taste of the water itself, it reacts with the malt and can make some disgusting beer. I've had it happen to me numerous times, but not since I've employed the methods I mentioned above.

So no, just because you think your water tastes fine, does not mean you will always get good beer. A new brewer likely doesn't need to screw around with advanced water chemistry, but he/she absolutely needs to be aware of the effect of chlorine.

When I was just starting out all the stuff you just said might have scared me so bad i would never have brewed again let alone moved on to making good beer and not just in my opinion. There is no reason to be nervous about chlorine. if you cant smell it and its quote very good water it really cant make disgusting beer. my opinion and im sticking to it.

There is no reason to be nervous about chlorine. if you cant smell it and its quote very good water it really cant make disgusting beer. my opinion and im sticking to it.

I've read enough to learn most people agree with you. But I will drop in a campden tablet for the next brew.

If you have a band-aid flavor in this brew, be sure to add a some campden to your water or let the water sit in the sun for a day prior to the next brew. All you can do is wait and see at this point.

My first brew was full of band-aid flavor in 1997. You'll move past it.

I already bought some tablets, and as I understand, there is little to no downside to using them, I'll use them regardless how these two batches turn out.

I know this is a old thread. I have newer garden hose that I use to run water through my wort chiller. And I had a leak into my wort. It was only a few drops. Probably one or two ounces before I noticed. The water from the hose is very chlorinated. I am concerned it is going to make my beer taste like that. Amy I just being paranoid? What is the threshold for our taste buds to taste it?

I think your beer will be alright, especially if the wort was still hot. The chlorine would evaporate.
And a couple of ounces in 750oz+ won't make a difference anyway.

I know this is a old thread. I have newer garden hose that I use to run water through my wort chiller. And I had a leak into my wort. It was only a few drops. Probably one or two ounces before I noticed. The water from the hose is very chlorinated. I am concerned it is going to make my beer taste like that. Amy I just being paranoid? What is the threshold for our taste buds to taste it?
Yes paranoid. Two shot glasses of water in 5 gallons is nothing. I add Camden to my BK but I'm always a bit short and top off with tap water. Maybe a 1/2 gallon in 10 gallon batch. I never noticed anything even in my super light beers

does the form of chlorine make a difference with regard to home brewing? Different municipalities use different forms to chlorinate their water. I recall certain forms dissipate almost instantly when it flows the the faucet aerator

Chloramines do not dissipate and chlorine takes more time than just coming out the tap can solve. Campden tablets are so cheap and effective that it's almost crazy not to use them unless you've got a well and are using spring or distilled water. Even if you just have chlorine that can be removed by a carbon filter it takes time to flow through the filter and the filters are expensive by comparison to campden. I'm a big believer in it. It just makes life easier.

I know for a fact that the hose I used for my chiller has some sort of chlorine taste inside it. You can smell it. I just thought that the chlorine smell and taste
Gets stronger throughout fermentation.

I know for a fact that the hose I used for my chiller has some sort of chlorine taste inside it. You can smell it. I just thought that the chlorine smell and taste
Gets stronger throughout fermentation.

It is possible the odor in the hose is poly vinyl chloride, PVC. That is why they are not used for drinking water if this is the typical house hold utility hose.

Exactly, and why there are drinking water grade hoses that they use for RVs and applications such as this.

Yeah, it's a regular household garden hose, bought from Costco. Absolutely not for drinkingwater. I was using it for the wort chiller. And it sprung a small leak.

Enh, with the amount that's in there, and the fact that you were pushing lots of water through it, I doubt it will impart any flavor. Don't worry about it.

Back