Nelson Amarillo Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrskunk

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a pale ale with some nelson but I've never used it before. I have tasted it in widmers bros. IPA but I was looking to make something where it wasn't quite so forward.

Any input would be appreciated.

5 gallon batch

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 42.4 IBUs
Est Color: 5.1 SRM

Certain brewing salts or yeast can make it less hop forward and more malt driven.Some yeast are known to accentuate hops more.But yeah,simply adding less hops probably particularly later addions would work.
What is it in Nelson you dont want or like? From what i remember amarillo (not shure about amarillo gold)is similar with a ripe fruit tropical mandarine thing.Citra seems similar to me as well.
Seems like you just want to tone down your late additons a little?

Its not that i dislike anything about the nelson, just from what i tasted it seemed it would be very easy to overpower the other hops

I would say your pretty safe with a 1/2 oz of nelson with 2 1/2 oz other hops. Looks like a good pale ale,let us know how it turns out. Looks good!
I tend to mash a little higher when using 05 yeast because i usually get too low finish with it often it seems.

Ive always mashed @ 152 for my IPAs since i like them on the dryer side, I was gonna do the same for this pale ale but I'm concerned that the lower og might dip below the 1.010-1.012 range

I use US-05 for just about everything and I've never had it get below 1.010. Usually winds up at 1.011 or 1.012. I also usually mash at 152.

As for the hops, I guess it depends on your goal. What you've got will likely make a good beer, but I doubt you'll get much character that's uniquely Nelson or Amarillo. You could use the Nelson for your bittering and use the Amarillo for flavor and aroma with maybe a smaller amount of Nelson late. That would keep it simpler and you'd have a good idea of what your hops are giving you. I also love using Amarillo as a dry hop. Usually 1-2 oz. depending on what I'm going for.

Basically, I don't think you can go wrong, but if I were exploring a specific hop, I'd try to simplify my recipe around that hop.

I'll up this because it's so close to what I'm asking so here it goes...

I brewed an Amarillo / Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale and it is going to get some dryhops tomorrow and now I've been having a second thoughts about amounts...

Here's the recipe so far (Sorry about weird amounts - i'm european and using metrics so converted):

Batch Size (fermenter): 4,28 gal

6 lbs 9,8 oz Pale Ale (2-row) (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 78,9 %
8,8 oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7,1 SRM) Grain 2 6,6 %
8,8 oz Vienna Malt (3,5 SRM) Grain 3 6,6 %
7,1 oz Carared (Weyermann) (24,0 SRM) Grain 4 5,3 %
3,5 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM) Grain 5 2,6 %

0,35 oz Magnum [14,10 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 6 23,7 IBUs
0,35 oz Nelson Sauvin [12,50 %] - Boil 20,0 min Hop 7 12,7 IBUs
0,35 oz Amarillo Gold [10,00 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 8 3,0 IBUs
0,35 oz Nelson Sauvin [12,50 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 9 4,2 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

So, I was originally thinkin about dryhopping only with Amarillo with around 30g (~1oz) because I read somewhere warnings that Nelson can be very powerful. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts about it and thinking about hopping around same amount (or more) but with 2/3 Amarillo & 1/3 Nelson. What I am looking for is something like Brewdog (for example new version of punk ipa) and Mikkeller does - a hop blast. I understand they do it by dryhopping. Oh, and the beer has OG 1051 and ~44 IBUs.

Latest posts

Back