Neipa recipe kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
So I have w NEIPA kit I will be brewing tomorrow.
11 lb 2 row
2 lb each flaked oats and wheat
1 lb dextrose

Never used dextrose in any of my brews or any of the many NEIPA's I've brewed.
Is it necessary to add the dextrose or can I eliminate?
What benefit does dextrose add in this style?

The preferred yeast is not particularly aggressive, and many neipa recipes include a pound or more (per five gallons) of easily fermentable sugar (ala corn sugar, or turbinado - my preference) to lighten the body a tad...

Cheers!

I've never seen a NEIPA recipe with any type of sugar.
Guess I'll include it since it was included in the kit.

Really? How many have you looked at?
I wager the neipa clone recipes I've found on line sport sugars more often than not...

Cheers!

I have never seen a neipa recipe other than. Ipas that call for added sugar.
I brew basically the same NEIPA recipe so adding dextrose is new to me.

It could be just for the extra sugars . I use 16# in my Neipa . I think I used an all grain Neipa kit once and i dont remember it containing dextrose but i may be wrong. It could be for the space in the box being sent . Just a guess.

I have never seen a neipa recipe other than. Ipas that call for added sugar.
I brew basically the same NEIPA recipe so adding dextrose is new to me.
It’s really not necessary to use it but your grain bill will be close to 40% Flaked adjuncts so they probably added it to bring the fg down a tad to help you get a 6.5-7%.

I personally do not add any sugar to my singles or doubles NEIPAS but I will be adding it the Triple NEIPA I’m brewing tomorrow to keep it from finishing too high

Last edited:
It’s really not necessary use it but for you grain bill will close to 40% Flaked adjuncts they probably added to bring the fg down a tad to help you get a 6.5-7%.

I personally do not add any sugar to my singles or doubles NEIPAS but I will be adding it the Triple NEIPA I’m brewing tomorrow to keep it from finishing too high

What do you mean ? I've heard adding sugar just dries out the beer , which I found out the hard way by adding 1# brown sugar. So for instance my Neipa had an OG of 1.080 and had a FG of 1.016 . If I added sugar it would have made my OG higher but what about the FG ? Would it be less the 16 or more ?

What do you mean ? I've heard adding sugar just dries out the beer , which I found out the hard way by adding 1# brown sugar. So for instance my Neipa had an OG of 1.080 and had a FG of 1.016 . If I added sugar it would have made my OG higher but what about the FG ? Would it be less the 16 or more ?
Brown sugar is different then pure corn sugar or dextrose, Ive never really research how much fermenrable it is but corn sugar sugar will down your fg because of its 100% fermentable. If you are making a high gravity beer you can use corn sugar to boost your abv since efficiency tanks in high og beers and it will help it finish lower so it’s not too sweet

Brown sugar is different then pure corn sugar or dextrose, Ive never really research how much fermenrable it is but corn sugar sugar will down your fg because of its 100% fermentable. If you are making a high gravity beer you can use corn sugar to boost your abv since efficiency tanks in high og beers and it will help it finish lower so it’s not too sweet

Ok , but yeast only attenuates so high right? So say an avg size beer at 6 you'll get idk say 82% attenuation but same yeast with a 10+ beer you may only get mid to high 70's attenuation making your beer sweeter . Am I thinking right on this ?

Sure. Run yeast with sugar loads well above their alcohol tolerance and when they peter out what's left dictates "sweetness".

But on more reasonable terms, some strains don't deal well with maltotriose, for instance, and may only ferment some middling percentage of same, but will continue to process simpler sugars limited by alcohol tolerance...

Cheers!

Ok , but yeast only attenuates so high right? So say an avg size beer at 6 you'll get idk say 82% attenuation but same yeast with a 10+ beer you may only get mid to high 70's attenuation making your beer sweeter . Am I thinking right on this ?
Kinda. Your attention % can Be the same and will typically remain the same amount unless you change your grain bill or mash temp but fg will be higher due to the higher og. I’ll put in simple match. If a 1.050 beer gets 80% attenuation the fg will be 1.010. If a 1.100 gets 80% attenuation it will finish 1.020.

So the reason sugar can cause you to have a lower fg than using only grain is because 1lb of base malt contains 35-37 gravity points but 1lb of sugar has 44 gravity point of 100% fermentable sugar it won’t leave any measurable residual sugar behind, since it will all be converted to alcohol and alcohol is less dense than water, the more alcohol present the the beer the lower the fg will be.

Sure. Run yeast with sugar loads well above their alcohol tolerance and when they peter out what's left dictates "sweetness".

But on more reasonable terms, some strains don't deal well with maltotriose, for instance, and may only ferment some middling percentage of same, but will continue to process simpler sugars limited by alcohol tolerance...

Cheers!
Many ale strains are tolerant above 10%

Exactly my point. While some strains might not be efficient at processing maltotriose (not an uncommon trait) they can still chomp on simple sugars until limited by the alcohol content...

Cheers!

Exactly my point. While some strains might not be efficient at processing maltotriose (not an uncommon trait) they can still chomp on simple sugars until limited by the alcohol content...

Cheers!
Gotcha. First time I read it I took it as sarcasm lol my bad

I'm going to go ahead and add it in. According to BF OG is 1.075/FG 1.012 and that's with using US05 which is what the kit came with. I personally prefer S04 when I use dry. I'm on the hook about which one to go with.
I have been using OYL091 and OYL 052 for all NEIPA's.

I'm going to go ahead and add it in. According to BF OG is 1.075/FG 1.012 and that's with using US05 which is what the kit came with. I personally prefer S04 when I use dry. I'm on the hook about which one to go with.
I have been using OYL091 and OYL 052 for all NEIPA's.
I like the kviek strains in the summer but found their esters can compete with the over all hop profile with most hop combos. For dry yeast I’d be using 05 all day. So clean and great attenuater, really let the hops shine IMHO

I like the kviek strains in the summer but found their esters can compete with the over all hop profile with most hop combos. For dry yeast I’d be using 05 all day. So clean and great attenuater, really let the hops shine IMHO
The last batch with Kveik produced a huge pineapple flavor, more so than any other batch. As you said it was really overpowering. It was the 4th gen so not sure if that had anything to do with it.
I think I will be switching to 1318 or Conan for my NEIPAS.

Brewed this kit on 1/11/20. Pitched US05 (which i hardly ever use) at 1230 on the 11th. No activity until 5pm or so on the 12th.
As of this morning, it's still fermenting. I added my 2nd DH addition today. Gravity is 1.010, which is a little under what the recipe called for. Going back through some previous notes, looks like when I used US05, it was finished in about 5 days so I'm at 7 day of pitching. I did add in the pound of dextrose which was included in the kit.
Should I let this continue to ferment or cold crash to stop? Ferm temp is 66.

Brewed this kit on 1/11/20. Pitched US05 (which i hardly ever use) at 1230 on the 11th. No activity until 5pm or so on the 12th.
As of this morning, it's still fermenting. I added my 2nd DH addition today. Gravity is 1.010, which is a little under what the recipe called for. Going back through some previous notes, looks like when I used US05, it was finished in about 5 days so I'm at 7 day of pitching. I did add in the pound of dextrose which was included in the kit.
Should I let this continue to ferment or cold crash to stop? Ferm temp is 66.
Always let a beer finish. They clean themselves up. Also even after crashing, yeast will be in suspension and can still work at cold temps(just slower). If it finishes drier, which it should since you used dextrose, and you’re not happy with it, fix it next time

The sugar is just a tool to make your grist more fermentable. May or may not be necessary for you depending on your target OG and target FG. If you want a lower FG sub in a little sugar for grain. Some yeasts attenuate more than others so the decision is very yeast dependent.

I use sugar in some of my batches also because I do BIAB in a 5 gallon kettle and sometimes can't fit enough grain to hit the OG I want so I'll add sugar. But an issue I've had with that is a few batches have attenuated farther down than I wanted. So it's all a balancing act.

Back