NEIPA recipe, how to make a beer "juicier"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
Hey brewers!

I just made a kit NEIPA, that's probably more of a hazy IPA, this one: https://minicerveceria.com/kits/463-cerveza-neipa
(Google Translate if you need, though grains & hops I think are pretty clear ;) )

The "base" flavour I liked a lot, but not really "juicy" enough for a proper NEIPA (and ABV around 5.5), so am thinking of using the same or a very similar grain bill but aiming to make it a little more "jucier" - and a little higher ABV. ;)

So, grain bill basically the same, though may add some corn sugar to raise the ABV, and a little more oats to increase the "creaminess". Any comments/suggestions on this?

For hops, I'm thinking of adding some Citra, which a brewer friends says he likes in combination with amarillo. This current beer has 100g of amarillo in total, so I'm thinking of adding 50-100g of Citra for the next batch, possibly all dry hopped unless anyone has a better suggestion? Half whirlpool, half dry hopped? Something else?

And rather than dropping my first 40g of amarillo at the start of the boil, I might wait until 30 minutes into it, for a little more flavour versus bitterness. How does this sound, or with the extra citra hops will I need to worry about this?

Appreciate any input you can give.

Lots of whirlpool, flame-out additions, then dry-hop just before high kraeusen, package as soon as it hits TG.

Also, back-sweeten with lactose to help boost the 'juicy' perception of the fruity hops.

Reading the linked page it seems the yeast may be the Lallemand New England mix. Mixed reviews of same, with some folks preferring LAIII (1318/A38).

Anyway, imo if you're not using at least 12 ounces of hops per five gallons/19 liters with nearly all of that late/post-boil/dry hop additions you're not in the NE IPA territory...

Cheers!

If you want Juicier, I would not add sugar, that would dry out the beer. You might want to consider changing to an English base malt, like Golden Promise and increase the amount used. That would give a fuller body and might end up a touch sweeter. Do not use any Caramel. Add a lot more hops. Citra is great. If you can find Galaxy, that would up the Juicy quotient.

I would be very leery of using repackaged yeast. If you have to use dry, some brewers report good results with a blend of S-04 and US-05.

Reading the linked page it seems the yeast may be the Lallemand New England mix. Mixed reviews of same, with some folks preferring LAIII (1318/A38).
Cool, will look into availability here of this yeast.

The amount of hops may depend on price here ;) but was thinking of at least doubling from the recipe, I can always see how that compares to NEIPAs I buy.

If you want Juicier, I would not add sugar, that would dry out the beer. You might want to consider changing to an English base malt, like Golden Promise and increase the amount used. That would give a fuller body and might end up a touch sweeter. Do not use any Caramel. Add a lot more hops. Citra is great. If you can find Galaxy, that would up the Juicy quotient.
I had seen a well rated recipe somewhere using Golden Promise, so sounds like that might be worth trying if possible.

Try GY054 yeast it's very good . My first NEIPA I was wondering if I did something wrong because it smelled like juice in my brew room .

So my revised grain bill for my next NEIPA, after advice from a commercial brewer friend, will be:
pale ale 75%
wheat 9%
carapils 9%
oats 7%

And using amarillo, citra & mosaic hops.

We'll see how it goes...

You need to minimize o2 pick up at hop at a rate of at least 2oz/gallon

Back