NEIPA becomes darker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebbb

Reaction score
Hey guys, after having bottled my neipa and left it carbonating for just a week, it pours amber light while when I racked to the secondary it was of golden colour.

It also tastes slightly sweeter compared when I tried before bottling it.

This happened as well when I bottled my last neipa but turned darker after one month- bearing in mind that this had never happened to my previous bottled beers.

I suspect it is due to oxydation, but how can it happened so quickly after just one week?

HELP!

Seb

Oxidation occurs very quickly for NEIPAs. I don't know many people who have had success bottling them.

Also, oxidation is about the only thing I can think of that would change it from golden to amber.

Hey guys, after having bottled my neipa and left it carbonating for just a week, it pours amber light while when I racked to the secondary it was of golden colour.

It also tastes slightly sweeter compared when I tried before bottling it.

This happened as well when I bottled my last neipa but turned darker after one month- bearing in mind that this had never happened to my previous bottled beers.

I suspect it is due to oxydation, but how can it happened so quickly after just one week?

HELP!

Seb
Never had an issue with this with my NEIPAs. Have bottled 3 and used oxygen absorbing caps. I also bottle early. Normally 4 days fermenting is done and then I give it a 3 day cold crash then bottle. I have one now that is....- month and a half old and it’s still great.

@MotoGP1000: Do you use a counter pressure filler? What's your approach? Thanks!
As in purge the bottles with co2? Nothing like that. Actually my setup has been very basic. Just a regular auto siphon into a pale with priming sugar and bottle from there. I will say this. I do lose some aroma. When it’s in the pale it’s bursting with aroma. Just amazing. When I go to bottle and finally crack one, the aroma has died off a bit but everything else is intact and no browning issues. I’m steeping into kegs on this coming neipa and hoping to preserve that bursting aroma by close transfering. We’ll see. But my process till now hasn’t been complicated at all and the beers are still fantastic for quite somebody time. How long are you waiting to refrig? I really don’t give mine more than a week warm. I crack one and if I’m satisfied with the carb then I refrig. Maybe that might be it? Cold temps preserving the neipa?

Back