Need to replace pt100 wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckledhen

Reaction score
218205C0-7C91-49ED-8C42-165113FAB54A.jpeg
Hey all, I have a short in my pt100 temp probe wire. I see that I can order replacement thermocouple wire, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get to the wires in the quick disconnect. How does the disconnect come apart? Has anyone ever replace the wire and can help me out? Thanks

You don't want to use thermocouple wire with a PT100 probe. Thermocouple wire and thermocouple extension wire (not always the same thing) are special alloys, which are different for each thermocouple type.

The PT100 is connected with ordinary Cu wire, and you should use the same gauge and length wire for all three legs (this is important so that the correction for the lead wire resistance is accurate.) To rewire a connector, you have to have the tools and skill to do small solder joints. If the short is at the probe end, then you are better off replacing the probe.

Brew on :mug:

That wire is fine. Supplier is sloppy with their terminology. A thermocouple is a particular type of (low) voltage output temperature sensor that depends on a junction between two different metals/alloys to work. A Pt100 is a temperature sensor where the change in resistance of the precision resistor as the temperature changes is correlated with the temperature. A Pt100 is not a thermocouple.

Brew on :mug:

So i found out if you hold the female end with pliers and twist the other end comes of and you can access the wires (once you remove the sleeving).

I am not sure about ‘cheaper probes’. Once I replaced mine with the information above, it has been rock solid.

I am not sure about ‘cheaper probes’. Once I replaced mine with the information above, it has been rock solid.
The wire for this purpose is not special.. you can use phone cable or network cable as well.

The "cheaper" rtd probes are the same DTC probes as auber sells just without the markup or the connector soldered onto the other end. auber specs theirs be made with 3pins so they are different than and not interchangeable with the version the manufacturer is selling for much less elsewhere. if you open them up though you will see everything but the amount of pins is identical.
Aube does offer the poor quality stainless wire version as well, Ironically as an upgrade to the ones you are using.

For the OP
I strongly recommend replacing the probe wire with superior quality Telfon cable. Or replace the whole rtd with this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-...497101?hash=item2879f082cd:g:LxEAAOSwL35cktCG
or one of these..
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...at=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=rtd+pt100.

I have many of these including the tri clamp version and they work great. the cable does not suffer the same failures as the stainless braided stuff with wires smaller than human hair.

Latest posts

Back