Need to keg, but no CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunkemonster

Reaction score
Here is my situation. I'm living in South Korea and my regulator doesn't fit the Korean CO2 tank. My brew has been sitting in the fermenter for 3 weeks. I would like to get it in my corny keg and start the next batch as I get the proper regulator worked out.

Can I add priming sugar to the keg, rack into the keg and open the CO2 tank over the top of the open corny and "purge the O2" and let the sugar seal the keg? Or should I just wait to get the setup complete? I don't want it sitting on the yeast too long. BTW I have no secondary fermenter.

Yeah you can add priming sugar to the keg and let it seal itself. Use 1/3 cup of priming sugar per 5 gallons of beer and let it condition above 60 degF for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks, going ahead and priming with sugar. I just wanted to double check as it's my fist brew :mug:

Pay attention to the keg after you seal it make sure its not leaking out the Co2 I have one corny keg that i can only get to seal for carbonation if i hit with 20 psi to seat the top o-ring

Thanks, yeah I checked it after 20 min and noticed the bubbles coming out of the seal. I had to reseat it 180 degrees and that seemed to work. T

You'll even be able to tap a couple pints once it is carbonated. If you get desperate after that and have a spare keg, you can put some sugar water and yeast in the second keg and jumper to the brew keg.

I did this on a regular basis a few years ago and had no problems (with my higher carbed brews).

I had built a spunding valve to monitor pressure and such - they work well.

BYO did an article a couple years ago that gives a much better description than I can.....

http://***********/stories/projects...ur-own-spunding-valve-to-carbonate-in-the-keg

Jonathan

Back