Need to help an 11% Barleywine carb up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I've got an 11% barleywine that refuses to carb up. I used my standard priming sugar ratio and after approx. 2 months it's got NOTHING going on. I'm thinking it's now time to add a little extra yeast to help things along. The taste is great so I don't want to change that at all. Would you guys recommend 04 or 05 to kick things into gear?

Can you get Lallemand CBC1? It's designed specifically for this type of application.

Can you get Lallemand CBC1? It's designed specifically for this type of application.
I really wish I had seen this sooner. I just ran over to the LHBS on my lunch break and picked up a packet of EC-1118. I figure I'll just use about half of it and see what happens. I was gonna go with the 05 but I'm hesitant if it can handle the high gravity. Thanks for the recommendation on the CBC1 though. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

I always add more yeast even to a 6% Beer when bottle conditioning. An 11% Beer it’s mandatory.

You only need 2-3g for 5 gallons. The EC-1118 will work just as good as the CBC-1. They can both handle high alcohol environments and only eat the simple sugars you add for carbonation.

The conditioning yeasts like CBC-1 and F-2 are wine yeasts. Anyway, it makes sense to use a wine yeast in this situation, there's no point messing about with beer yeasts on the threshold of conking out. Some are good for a fair bit higher, but wine yeast will definitely be OK and is generally cheaper.

Are you just planning on dosing each bottle with a little additional yeast and the re-capping or are you keg carbing?

Are you just planning on dosing each bottle with a little additional yeast and the re-capping or are you keg carbing?
The former. I plan on letting this bottle condition for the better part of a year (possibly longer) and I'd rather not tie up a keg for that long.

Latest posts

Back