Need to adjust my keggle's dip tube, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was working on installing the ball valve and 10" false bottom from HomeBrewStuff.com. I drilled my spigot hole a tad high and now I need to re-bend the diptube to make it through the hole in the false bottom. Any suggestions on how to do this. It appears a standard metal bender by Rigid won't work because the piece is so short that you can't get the original bend out of the tube. I need to either re-bend the stainless or figure out a different product to insert into the compression fitting they provide. Hints or tips appreciated.
Thanks.

I can't speak from any kind of experience and know nothing about stainless tubing, but I know for copper they sell these spring-style benders that you slide over the tube and just bend by hand (could use like a soup can or something depending on how sharp a bend you need).

The spring prevents kinking.

Again, this is for copper. I have no clue how hard it is to bend stainless, so this might not work. Just a thought.

For my hot liquor tank that I made out of a keg, I fired up one of my turkey burners and used it to heat the pipe. It made it malleable enough to bend easily (dont touch red metal with your hands ;) ) and didn't kink on me. Granted, the diameter didnt stay round but if you're careful, surely you'de be able to make something work for your false bottom.

Can you attach anything to the FB that would 'Raise' the hole a bit? Then slip the SS into that? A big nut or something?

Thank you so far for the suggestions. No way to raise the false bottom up or trub and such will fall down the sides of the keggle and under the false bottom getting sucked up by the dip tube eventually. Keep the suggestions coming.

No, I mean attach something to the top of the FB that would extend the 'HOLE' so that you can attach the SS tube to it. Something that would connect to a compression fitting or something. How close are you?

Cut the dip tube and attach a piece of silicone tubing between the cuts to give you some flex.

We actually did this ourselves because the weld line on one of or kegs didn't allow us to go any lower, what we did was take a roll of duct tape and a golf ball. But the golf ball under the center hole of the false bottom and place the duct tape roll so the ball is centered. than just step on it to create a small dome in the center.

This opened the hole a bit but we fixed that with a silicone o ring on the top and bottom of the false bottom on the dip tube. This kept anything from entering the slightly enlarged hole and also provided more stability so the false bottom didn't just dangle around.

Just to add we fixed a little over a 1/8" gap doing it this way. We loose maybe 1/4-1/2 cup of fluid at the very bottom but not to bad at all.

Thank you for everyone's helpful information. It appears without buying a new diptube there are a few solutions 1. force the "hole" of the false bottom up to meet the tube, 2. cut the diptube and splice in some silicone tubing, 3. create a "tailpiece" from the false bottom up to meet the dip tube. All very helpful. I will update the thread when I make my edit on the diptube. Thanks everyone.

Well I attempted to heat and unbend and re-bend my dip tube. Just as I was fixing the final bend I got a hairline fracture in the tube at the bend. A shame too as the reshape worked. No way to fix this is there? Just in see I did order a custom dip tube from bargain fittings. Anyone know how to fix this is it possible?

Just a thought. But I remember reading somewhere a long time ago, that if you pack the dip tube with very fine sand it helps prevent kinking. This way you can wrap the tube around fairly small objects. Again not that I've tried it, but I am considering it as I'm looking for a good method to install one on my keg as well.
First post but 1000th time on the site, thank you all for everything.

Well thank you all for your help and advice. Unfortunately as I was bending the dip tube it cracked at the area of the bend. Not to fear I ordered a custom dip tube from www.bargainfittings.com. Now all I need is a heavier duty gasket to seal the ball-valve/bulkhead from www.hombrewstuff.com and I will be in business. I hope to get my first all grain batch under my best next week sometime. People keep saying the beer is better with all grain versus partial mash and extract. Excited.

Cut the dip tube and attach a piece of silicone tubing between the cuts to give you some flex.

this would likely have been your best bet. alternately, you could have purchased a small length of copper tubing and attached it to your dip tube with some high temp silicone tubing and a couple stainless clamps.

Back