Need thermostat advice for a chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
Hello,

I am building a fermentation chiller - specifically, the 38DD "mother of all fermentation chillers", a derivative of the original son of a fermentation chiller.

I have my box built, and am down to the electrical components.

I know that I need a thermostat, a 12 volt DC power supply, a fan, and some wire. The guide at Wort-o-matic talks about modifying the thermostat to set up for remote sensing by removing the thermistor, soldering in wires, and reattaching the thermistor.

Forgive me for sounding like a moron, but I know NOTHING about thermostats. I don't see either of the models that they list in the article for sale anywhere local to me; would any typical thermostat be able to be modded in the same manner, or is there something I should look for?

Is there a better way to accomplish this task - some other means of attaching a remote thermometer?

Thanks for the help.

Welp, Ive done some more homework. Looks like most thermostats will let lend themselves to this kind of modification, so I'll just buy one and take the plunge.

Latest posts

Back