Need suggestions/help Malbec

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
apparently I can't follow directions.
I have made 10 wine kits so far but this is the first with added oak.
it is a wine expert Argetine malbec, I was suppose to add the supplied oak cubes (30 grams french, unknown toast) "After" I degassed and stabilized. I added them when I first racked to secondary 7 days ago.it is suppose to be in secondary for 10 days, then stabilize and degass.
My thought is, add 1 oz of medium plus french oak cubes ( that I just happen to have on hand) and maybe stabilize a few days early. it is done fermenting and is at 0.990 right now.
Any suggestions?

2.5 to 3 ounces per 5 gallons is considered to be equivalent to “new barrel” extraction rates, start with the 1 oz and wait a week or two before tasting the wine, oak cubes Cubes need at least 2 months minimum, up to 1 year to impart the full benefits of the oak, in the future, if you have the oak cubes hanging around, one of the best wine makers - Zac brown taught me that adding oak during fermentation is always better, the yeast metabolizes and buffers the oak much like a barrel fermentation.
I would age this wine a yr or so, you'll be happy that you did!
I hope that this helps!

2.5 to 3 ounces per 5 gallons is considered to be equivalent to “new barrel” extraction rates, start with the 1 oz and wait a week or two before tasting the wine, oak cubes Cubes need at least 2 months minimum, up to 1 year to impart the full benefits of the oak, in the future, if you have the oak cubes hanging around, one of the best wine makers - Zac brown taught me that adding oak during fermentation is always better, the yeast metabolizes and buffers the oak much like a barrel fermentation.
I would age this wine a yr or so, you'll be happy that you did!
I hope that this helps!

I have thought that this kit was a bit under oaked, it has about an ounce of oak sawdust in the primary and just over an ounce to add after fermentation. 6 gallon batch.
Suggestions from another forum are to save the cubes when I rack off for stabilizing, rinse them off and add them back in. I will get a taste then but am leaning toward adding at least a half once of the fresh cubes as well.
I am looking at aging this one at least 18 months, I have heard great reviews on this kit.
(fingers crossed I might get an oak barrel for Christmas if I am good ;)

The oak dust is usually untoasted or very lightly toasted, you won't get much from it, you can save the oak cubes, I always lean towards using fresh oak. It's a very smart move to add only a half ounce at a time, remember oak will dissipate over time while aging, it is recommended to slightly oak a bit more than you usually like, but be careful you don't want to make liquid lumber.
Aging for 18 months is a great idea! The wine will only improve with time.
Once you get a barrel you'll never be the same!..lol.. the overall character of your wine will improve, barrel aging adds a layer of complexity and character to wine, it's amazing how it can mellow a wine making it very "smooth". You won't regret it! I recommend Hungarian oak.

Back