Need some recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
Hello Gents, its been a little while since I have been on the site or making beer, but I have had the bug the last couple days- reading some brewing books and having a couple craft beers- so i'm reading to brew again and I got a mish mash of hops from my last couple batches. So what I was wondering if you could give me a good recipe from the list of hop I have. The most I have in any hop variety is 1.65 oz. But here they are:

Citra
Mt. hood
Antihiumn
EKG
Amarillo
Nuggett
Columbus
Bullion
&
Hallaertau

Im an extract brewer and im only making 5 gallons with a 3 gallon boil. Any advice on grains to use I would be more than happy to listen to you suggestions.

Well I'm not a gent but I hope you won't hold it against me ;). I also have no idea what Antihiumn hops are, is that Ahtanum perhaps? Seems you have a fair variety but more American than anything else. How about a nice simple APA? Like:

5.5 lb light DME
1 lb crystal 40 steeped
bittering addition to target 25-30 IBU (around 0.5 oz Columbus or Nugget?)
mix of 1 oz each Citra/Amarillo/Ahtanum : add 1 oz of mixture at 15 min, flameout, dry hop
American ale yeast of your choice

You may want to plug it in software with your actual hops and calculate IBU's. I was thinking like 1.052-1.054 with 40-45 IBU's. You could certainly play with the late hops also depending on exactly what you have.

Like chicky said, use your Columbus for bittering and your other Americans for flavor aroma in an APA

Make a Hefe using your Hallertau

Make an ESB or english session beer with your Nugget & EKG

Depends on what fermentables you have handy.

OK Thank you for the ideas you two, I think I will go with a APA as you described but I may not bunch them all together I may spread them out, I just think it may add a weird taste or something idk lol. But thank you for the replies hopefully I can get some more and see what else people are thinking with these hops, but thanks chicky you may have made my mind up.

Back