Need some opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneoffcustom

Reaction score
Im about to run a 1 gallon partial mash of a rum runner stout (Kit from northern brewer). This kit says it works great with additives.

My thought on this is adding a bit of a coffee flavoring in. My question is how would you go about adding the coffee into the mix. Would you add it into your steeping grains and steep the beans? Would you add it into the fermentor?

Also how much do you think you would need to add for 1g. Looking for a nice roasty coffee stout.

Thanks for help...

I would add some brewed coffee into either the boil or fermenter, in either case before fermentation. I have no idea how to figure out how much to add for a small batch like that, but would err on the side of less is more.

I used 25g of whole beans in ~4 gallons porter. I racked off 2 days later, because the coffee character was so strong. It settled to a nice coffee note, not dominant about 3 weeks later.

Coffee was a darker, full body, low acidity roast; dark, but not shiny, oily black beans. I'm sure there would be big variation depending on the coffee beans, so whatever you do, choose a method to allow you to adjust to taste (dosing finished coffee or racking off beans/grounds or removing a Muslim bag of them).

After reading some more i was thinking maybe 2oz of cold pressed coffee.

Use 2 oz sumantra (cold pressed), in my secondary and racking onto it for a 2 week finishing before bottling.

I dont want to over power, but just add its presence into the stout.

I add cold steeped coffee to my Pumpkin Coffee Stout at kegging. I would agree that less is more when you are working with a 1 gallon batch though.

Back