Need some input: Marrionberry Pie IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
OK ladies and gentlemen, I am collaborating with a colleague of mine from the PNW on an experimental recipe that will highlight the unique flavor profile of the marrionberry (species of blackberry from the PNW, not to be confused with the corrupt crack smoking, prostitute loving politician form Washington, D.C.). The idea is to create a berry infused IPA that will be build upon a bready british malt backbone and highlighted with an exotic berry/stonefruit/light citrus hop profile.

Hops are largely late addition hops. I largely focused on NZ hops as they have a very unique aroma and flavor profile that I believe should blend well.

Here's my draft recipe (11 gal)

18 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 70.6 %
5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 19.6 %
2 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 7.8 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 2.0 %

2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 34.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.5 IBUs

1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop
1.00 oz Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Dry Hop

Mash @ 152. WLP002 yeast

Beersmith calculates OG @ 1.069 with 56 IPU.

Thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms are welcomed.

Ready, set, :goat:

I havnt personally, brewed any berry beers. I have brewed a few fruit beers.
I don't know if I would pair fruit with an IPA. It seems to me the hoppiness would over take the fruit flavor. Unless, your not looking so much for the flavor, and more for the sweetness. I just did an apricot /pineapple ale that turned out real well, using a jar a preserves). It had a sweet pineapple taste, then ale and finished with a dry apricot finish. Was really liked by the wife. The basis for that was more a blonde style. Trying a wheat base now with a jar of preserves, and a can of concentrate in secondary.
I am curious as to how yours will turn out, as....I LOVVVVE Marrion berrys! and the whole lot of IBU's in your hop additions. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back