Need Some Help With Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTS

Reaction score
Hello!!

So about a year ago i bought some grains to make an Spruce Amber Ale...only problem was i cant find the recipe i had got it from and have the grains but don't know what hops to use with it. Here is what I have;

Grains
11 lbs - Marris Otter
.8 oz - Honey Malt
.8 oz - Flaked Oats

Hops (on hand)
1oz - Chinook
.5oz - Cascade
2.5oz - Centennial
1oz - Willamette
1oz - Goldings
1oz - Cluster

What hops would go good with an Amber Ale...if that's even what i have with the grains posted above. Probably wont be doing the spruce addition anymore as its fall.

Or what can I add to this grain bill to help it out. Also any ideas for a yeast would be great...or maybe i will be adventurist and see if I can pick one myself. haha

Thanks for your help!

CTS

Any of those hops would go well in an Amber Ale. I am a fan of Cascade, Centennial and Willamette and have used them all in a recipe. I have also used all the others except Cluster.

If you want to add to the grainbill the possibilities are endless.

I like what you have there for a light pale ale.
Maybe use some Centennial for bittering and then more Centennial, Cascade and Willamette for flavor and aroma.

I like what you have there for a light pale ale.
Maybe use some Centennial for bittering and then more Centennial, Cascade and Willamette for flavor and aroma.

+1 on the hop suggestions. I would just try and keep it from being too bright and citrusy if you're going for a fall brew. So personally I would go centennial for bittering and then hit it with just Cascade and Willamette for flavor/aroma.

I think a Willamette, Cluster, Golding combo could also play nicely together.

+1 on the hop suggestions. I would just try and keep it from being too bright and citrusy if you're going for a fall brew. So personally I would go centennial for bittering and then hit it with just Cascade and Willamette for flavor/aroma.

I think a Willamette, Cluster, Golding combo could also play nicely together.

In my suggestion I added the Centennial to the flavor/aroma just because he only has .5 oz of Cascade.

How much and when is one of the things I enjoy when working on a recipe, trying to figure out the combinations/results.

In my suggestion I added the Centennial to the flavor/aroma just because he only has .5 oz of Cascade.

How much and when is one of the things I enjoy when working on a recipe, trying to figure out the combinations/results.

Yeah I getcha. I'm just always hesitant to overuse some of the fruitier hops when I'm making something like an amber. I think it can be a fine line between balanced and too much. But it's hard to argue with Centennial. It is pretty damn tasty.

did anyone else notice these ingredients are likely a good deal over a year old? I would be worried about freshness.

Were the grains crushed this whole time? Also how were the hops stored?

did anyone else notice these ingredients are likely a good deal over a year old? I would be worried about freshness.

I did not. When I read it I looked at is as he had made a recipe a year ago but couldn't remember it exactly.

But yeah, if those ingredients are a year old that's a problem. If thats the case I would just spring for some new grain/hops/yeast rather than end up with a bad batch.

Thanks for the suggestions!

So what does this look like then?

.75oz - Centennial = 60 min
.50oz - Willamette = 5 min
.50oz - Cascade = 5 min

I had the Centennial at 1.0 oz but beersmith had the IBUs a bit to high for the style. I also don't want this to be overly hoppy. As is it comes out at 33.2 IBU

One thing I want to do is try to get the color up there a bit, it is sitting around 6.2 SRM.

And I think that i will go with Wyeast American Ale 1056

m00ps said:

Ya this crossed my mind as well. The grains were bought from AHS and were milled and vac sealed like they do for orders. Hops were stored in the freezer in ziploc type bags.

I figure I might try it anyways, already paid for.

Latest posts

Back