need some help with a floral hop for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
So Im a fan of big IPAs such and DFH 90, Avery Maharaja, and Anderson Valley Imperial IPA(ok, this one is a little sweet). Ive been trying to build an IPA with a similar hop flavor, though adding a little peaty/earthiness to it. This is my latest attempt per hops:
Columbus 60 min
Amarillo 30 min
Warrior 30 min
Cascade 15, 5, DH
Centennial 15, 5, DH
Willamette 15, 5, DH
Chinook 15, 5, DH

So I got the undertone flavor Im looking for, but I want that big floral aroma on top that is basically non-existent. I want floral, but I dont like the grapefruit flavor that seems to be in some of those hops. This beer also has some of that grapfruitiness to it as well, and I want to take it out.

So my question is does anyone have a good suggestion as to what hop(s) I should use to get a big floral taste, and what hops, if any, I should remove to replace or to remove that grapefruit flavor

Thanks, looking forward to your input

Willamette has that floral/nectary quality. East Kent Golding will aid that. Looks like you'd have to get rid of all the "C" hops to get rid of the grapefruit flavor/aroma. Dry hopping with Willamette will give a floral aroma.

dropping the Warrior will get rid of some of the grapefruit as well.. I agree with dropping the C hops, Styrian goldings and EK goldings, tettnang, willamette, Perle, will give you Floral flavor/aroma

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I'll give the Perle a shot, maybe EK as well. The closest store to me is 3 hours away, don’t really get much of a chance to test hops, kinda just have to run with it online.

Any ideas for a replacement on the Warrior??

Latest posts

Back