need some help wiring dryer motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
I have some free time this week so i come up with new project, i want to motorized my mill using cloth dryer motor i have laying around, 1st problem i dont know how to wire it even to see if it works. I know nothing about electric motors and im surprised it has 6 connections available (plus 2 on the left side). I think i need to go with 1 and 2 connection for hot and neutral but erm im not really sure so if someone knows a little bit more than me about this kind of stuff please advice, here are two pictures of the motor
Thanks

20130805_135459.jpg

20130805_135450.jpg

Just general dryer schematics with 2.4-3.6 ohms resistance for motor and nothing more, i have model number 3395654 but wasnt able to find much info on wiring

A schematic will go a long way.
Is this close?
kenmoredryerschematic.jpg

If so, looks like:
Blue (or 4M) is the Hot wire.
Black (or 6M) + White/White-red (or 5M) is the Neutral

I think you can tape off the violet.

Use a GFCI circuit while you're playing with it.

'da Kid

That kind of motor has two sets of windings inside. The main windings keep it running and the start windings are used to give it a boost to spin from a dead stop. When you push the start button on the dryer, it gives power to both windings at once. Once the motor is spinning, a switch on the motor closes to keep the run windings powered after you release the start button. The start windings aren't designed for continued use.

To use this motor you will need to replicate that start button circuit. The schematic posted above should give you an idea how to wire it. If that schematic means nothing to you, you may not want to take this on.

Thanks for the schematics The10mmKid and for the explanation Reynolds, its a little bit clearer now but i will review everything one more time before i plug it in

i tried couple different ways to connect it but cant get this thing to spin. I looked at original connector that goes to the switch on the motor and it has only 4 cables, black goes to connection 6 blue to 4 white/red to 5 and ground to ground. I tried 4 and 6 as well 4 and 5 and nothing. There is one disconnected wire that goes to the winding (on 2nd pic disconnected by accident at some point), im not sure where this should go but i tried it with this one connected to the either prong on the left side of the switch or not connected at all and still nothing, errrrrrrgh, i guess i will try to find someone who has better idea about all this

Update:
I actually gave it one more try, i partially bypassed the switch by connecting the loose wire (going to the winding) on the picture directly to the hot side of my cable and then neutral to the 5M and it started running, didnt get hot after few minutes so im assuming its fine, now i will look in to mounting and pulleys ect.

Latest posts

Back