Need some additive and yeast guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-will11

Reaction score
So... I spent last night binge watching tons of youtube videos on making fruit wines. The videos clarified a few of the additives that need to be added (campden tabs, pectolase etc) which was very helpful. I'm ordering the supplements online today.

Can someone make a list of things that would be considered part of the "standard fruit wine kit"?

Also which yeast is best/easiest to use for fruit wine making and apple cider?
I did a bit of reading on the apple cider yeast and 'Brewer's Best Cider House Select Premium Cider Yeast' seemed to be extremely successful.

So far, in my cart I have:
Yeast nutrient
Campden tablets and potassium metabisulphite powder for sanitizing
Acid blend
Pectic enzyme

Other than yeast, what else do I need?

I like to have powdered tannin on hand for fruit wines. A very small bottle will last forever- you use it in amounts as little as 1/8 teaspoon sometimes- but it really is a great addition in many fruit wines.

You don't really need campden tablets (it's the same thing as the k-meta powder) but they sure are in a convenient and handy size for small batches.

Yeast energizer is sometimes yeast, but you should be ok with just the nutrient most of the time.

For yeast strains, there are a few that are special like Lalvin's 71B-1122- it metabolizes more malic acid than other strains so this can be helpful in fruits high in malic acid like native grapes and plums, and apples. Otherwise, a few standard ones like EC-1118 and D-47 are probably the most commonly used. For Red Star products, champagne yeast and montrachet yeast are probably the most versatile and commonly used.

Here is my favorite site with information on yeast strains: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Also on his site is a collection of the best fruit wine recipes anywhere: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp (scroll down a tad).

I like to have powdered tannin on hand for fruit wines. A very small bottle will last forever- you use it in amounts as little as 1/8 teaspoon sometimes- but it really is a great addition in many fruit wines.

You don't really need campden tablets (it's the same thing as the k-meta powder) but they sure are in a convenient and handy size for small batches.

Yeast energizer is sometimes yeast, but you should be ok with just the nutrient most of the time.

For yeast strains, there are a few that are special like Lalvin's 71B-1122- it metabolizes more malic acid than other strains so this can be helpful in fruits high in malic acid like native grapes and plums, and apples. Otherwise, a few standard ones like EC-1118 and D-47 are probably the most commonly used. For Red Star products, champagne yeast and montrachet yeast are probably the most versatile and commonly used.

Here is my favorite site with information on yeast strains: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Also on his site is a collection of the best fruit wine recipes anywhere: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp (scroll down a tad).

I was just checking out the link you posted with all of the fruit wine recipes. Not sure if I missed it along the way, but do you happen to know if the recipes are for a 1 gallon batch?

I was just checking out the link you posted with all of the fruit wine recipes. Not sure if I missed it along the way, but do you happen to know if the recipes are for a 1 gallon batch?

Yes, all recipes are 1 gallon size. To scale up, just multiply everything (except the yeast) by 3, or 5 or whatever size you are making for a bigger batch.

I'm still waiting on a hydrometer and fermenting bucket, but I hope to get my batch of hard lemonade started wed. I just wanted to ask if I should split my yeast packet between the 2 1 gallon batches that i'm doing OR should I use a whole packet with each gallon?

I'm still waiting on a hydrometer and fermenting bucket, but I hope to get my batch of hard lemonade started wed. I just wanted to ask if I should split my yeast packet between the 2 1 gallon batches that i'm doing OR should I use a whole packet with each gallon?

Use the whole package.

Latest posts

Back