Need schooling on silty, resinous hop bite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnagiandRoe

Reaction score
I just interviewed at a microbrewery and received a number of IPA samples, some with lactose some not. I'm looking for some help identifying off flavors.

In every single one I'm picking up this silty, resinous bite that hits the back roof of the mouth upon finish. Not sandy or particle filled, just silty. They're almost undrinkable after several sips. I don't taste green grapes but I taste greenness in general.

Could this be too much hops? It doesn't taste excessively bitter but I'm definitely getting concentrated tight, bright bitterness. Would do you think are the most likely causes of this?

Without trying it, that sounds like hop bite. Effectively, hop particulates still floating around in the beer. That ages out after 2-3 weeks as the hop matter settled.

It’s hopbite as mentioned earlier. Is green spicyness that is in the finish. Polyphenols and hop particulate still in suspension. If the dryhop rate is to high this happens as well as if certain hops are used. Aus hops and some NZ varieties are notoriously for hop bite. Will go away after 2 weeks of cold conditioning

What brewery did you interview at? I was in Front Royal for a wedding a few weeks ago and had lunch at Front Royal Brewing(2nd time there) and tried the NEIPA they had on tap and it sucked. I don't think that one's issue was hopbite, it was just a bad beer. Their other stuff was decent. But yeah what you're tasting sounds like hopbite or hopburn as I've also heard it called. I've tasted it a few times trying to drink a heavily hopped beer too fast.

Back