Need San Diego beer suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tminmur

Reaction score
My wife is traveling to San Diego this weekend, I asked her to take any extra bag so she can bring back some growlers or bombers. Any suggestions on which of the 30+ breweries I should have here visit for me.

Note* I am a hop head. Not very big on the darker beers. Love me some Double IPA'S, and I can get Stone Brewery from my local store. Unless they have an exclusive release, I am looking for something else

Thanks

Pizza Port is always good. Coronado is pretty good, too. Pretty much everyone out here has their own IPA, and most are pretty decent. Stone looks to have some pretty good releases coming up soon, so it could at least be worth a look.

Balast Point is wicked good. Didnt realize that Coronado was from there but I love many of their beers. SD is a damn good place for beer

Green Flash makes some real good beers. Or maybe Left Coast brewery. they have a double IPA called Hop Juice which sounds right up your alley

Track down an awesome bottle shop, tell her to ask for the beer manager who she can ask to help pick the best selection of local bottles that total under 50 # (checked bag limit?); are within your budget; and are not dark, Stone, or distributed to NC.

She'll probably thank you for not having to run around to a bunch of different breweries while in sunny SD...

Green Flash, Stone, AleSmith, St Archer, Hess Brewing Co (awesome tasting room) are my favorite. The wife and I are making it a mission to hit all breweries before we move. We're about 15% complete :p

Also recommend White Labs. They brew 6 different types of beer but each beer is fermented with 4 different yeast strains so you can taste how the beer reacts to each one. Their IPA is brewed with WLP001, WLP007, WLP028, and WLP545. They have a frankenyeast that is fermented with all 96 yeast strains in 1 beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I can't edit my last post but to clarify, 6 different types of beers each fermented with 4 different yeast strain (fermented separately making a total of 24 beers on tap) + some random ones like frankenyeast

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

WOW.... This great guys. I'm getting my list together for her today. Hopefully everything works out okay!!! Thanks again

So my wife totally came through for me. She got me some modern times and St Archer IPA. She also picked up the latest Stone Enjoy by 5-16-14!!!

Thank you

1397504214536.jpg

1397504227537.jpg

Very cool! Congrats! My friend works at Modern Times. Looks like she got you the wheat? Good choice. The amber is awesome too, but it's an IPA...sh...
Wish I had seen this sooner. One of the DO NOT MISS breweries is Alpine. Their Nelson IPA is the best I've ever had...try it if you ever get the chance. Mmmmm Nelson...

We are heading out for a long weekend in July. I've had Alpine's Duet and it was excellent, but Alpine is so far out and far from other breweries. Still worth the drive if we only have 3 days/nights there?

We are heading out for a long weekend in July. I've had Alpine's Duet and it was excellent, but Alpine is so far out and far from other breweries. Still worth the drive if we only have 3 days/nights there?

It is easily worth the drive to grab your 3 bottle (of each type) maximum & take them home with you, BUT you should be in luck if it lasts...Alpine recently brewed at Green Flash & distributed kegs throughout the county. IF YOU ARE LUCKY...you might be able to try Nelson at one of the various pubs or restaurants around town. They brewed Hoppy Birthday, Duet, & Nelson on Green Flash's much larger system. My friend owns a burger spot in Carlsbad & has a keg of Nelson ready to tap very soon...can't wait to take down a few pints.
The stuff is like liquid gold... Not sure what the batches of Nelson brewed at Green Flash will be like, but even if it's close, it's worth it.

I live in SD and it's beer heaven. Green flash always good, modern times is awesone, hess brewing, coronado, ballast point... There are so many, where Do you start? There's a great bottle shop called bottleworks in North Park and I believe another one near the 5 just northwest-ish of downtown. Check those out

And I have heard very much, And very good about alpine but have yet to make my way out there

Latest posts

Back