need plinian legacy beersmith help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfecxion

Reaction score
My first batch was NB's dead ringer all grain which is still in secondary. My next one is going to be their Plinian legacy which has a couple new steps that im a bit uncertain on adding to Beersmith:

1- on the first wort hop with amarillo for time should i just do 90min?

2- how exactly does the hopshot get input? Some people on the web were saying 1oz=1ml @ 2.43%, but that seems to be from before the hopshot was updated into beersmith? do i still want to proceed with that advice? the recipe calls for 10ml (2 5ml hopshots) for 90 min boil.

3- how do flame out hops get added in beersmith? the recipe says "Turn off heat, add Flame Out Hops. Allow to stand for 10–15 min before chilling." For example should i just add the 1.5oz centennial and put it under boil for 10min in beersmith?

4- if im adding whirfloc tablets and wyeast nutrient blend, does this need to be added to beersmith?

i know there are some people on this board who are probably have this recipe fermenting at the moment, so perhaps alternatively you could post the completed recipe if available :rockin:

I can't answer it all, but I'm pretty sure that for the first wort hops there is an option for this in a drop down menu if you double click on that hop addition in the recipe page where you're creating the addition. As far as the flame out hops you do the same as before and select whirlpool and however long your soakin em. I usually add the yeast nut. and whirlfloc/Irish Moss in for records keeping only, i don't think it affects anything in the recipe in Beersmith though. Never used a Hopshot so can't address that.

I can't answer it all, but I'm pretty sure that for the first wort hops there is an option for this in a drop down menu if you double click on that hop addition in the recipe page where you're creating the addition.

yea i had seen that, but if its a 90 min boil should i also ad the 5-10 min that the hops are sitting in the kettle while the wort drains in?

also, this may be a dumb question but even though my fermenting bucket looks nice and clean it still stinks from fermenting the dead ringer, also my mash tun is clean but smells like grain. the smell wont affect my next batch will it? or do i need to do something to remove the smell?:eek:

I usually just set the time for the FWH for whatever the boil time is. I really don't think it makes much difference in the IBU ratings (change it back and forth and see as i don't have my brew laptop in front of me). Are you using PBW or similar to clean the fermenter and then sanitizing? The cleanliness of the fermenter is very important. Not so much on the mash tun. I generally get the grains out of mine, give it a good rinse to get rid of any grain or bits out of valves, sight glass, etc. and then let it dry out. You're going into a boil after mashing so you're definitely sanitizing the hell outta the wort. If youre using a cooler for mashing it's gonna have a little grain odor to it, mine always did even though I rinsed it.

Latest posts

Back