Need Octoberfest / Lager Recipe help - which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, here's the skinny - going to a friend's place to brew a lager, since theey have lagering ability.

It will be my first lager.

I'd love to do an Octoberfest and let that bad boy mellow all summer. But I cannot make up my mind on a recipe.

Anyone have a super simple / doable AG Octoberfest recipe, that I can use dry lager yeast with? ( no time to get a starter going )

And if not, what about your faverite lager recipe, period?

Any links / recipe advice appreciated - going to LHBS tomorrow to get the goods.

heres a basic recipe:

5Gallons (you could scale up or down of course)

8lbs munuch
2lbs vienna
0.5 dark crystal
0.5 dextrine
1oz haller 60min
1oz haller 15min
0.5oz haller 5min
make a nice big starter calc from mr. malty ... just pitch 2 11.5gm packs of lager yeast directly into the chilled wort.

prob get your around 1.060 OG

I can't remember the exact amounts but it's not that important because it's so simple and all base grain. Virtually any proportion of German Light Munich malt and German Vienna malt plus a 1/2 to 1 lb Dark Munich malt. I typ use a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of Light Munich:Vienna. Use the German stuff, not domestic. OG is 1.055-1.058 or so, IBUs are in the low to mid 20s using noble hops, no flavor/aroma additions (especially aroma, NO hop aroma). Two hydrated packets W34/70 dry yeast. Middle-range mash temps, this yeast is a high attenuator and you don't want it too dry.

Back