Need New Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireraven0613

Reaction score
I've been brewing for just over a year now and looking back on all the beers I've done, most of them seem to be wheat beers or stouts. Yes, they are what my husband and I seem to enjoy the most but I'm getting bored and want to try something new. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. So I'm asking what's your favorite home brew and why? Bonus points for including the recipe.

:mug:

What other types of beers do you like? We could offer suggestions but if you do not like those styles then the beers will not work for you.

I brew a lot of Belgians and Saisons. I really like them, but a lot of people do not. A good saison on a hot summer day....yum.

Here is a great recipe.

6lbs Belgian Pils
3lbs German Spelt (this is pretty hard to find, so wheat is a good sub)
1lb turbinado sugar.

1.5 oz Strisselspalt 2.3AA @60
1.5 oz Strisselspalt 2.3AA @20
1 0z Strisselspalt 2.3AA @5

WY3724 pitch at 68 and then ramp up to 85 or even 90 over the course of a few days.

Carb to 3 vols.

if you like stouts:Try for a slight variation in porters, brown ales, brown mild.
Do you like ipas, try a dark ipa?
Wheat beer? American wheat? Try a citrusy summer wheat ale. Hefeweizen?
What about belgians? Do a nice dubbel or tripel. Then with some fruit, cherry maybe?
Belgian style brown ale. Belgian porter. Belgian wheat ale.

variations on the styles you noted.
make a big batch of stout. then either split into seperate smaller fermenters, or a primary and separate secondaries.

Stout combinations of: Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, cherry, lactose, chili, oatmeal, irish, session stout, oak aged, bourbon, rye, mint, peanut butter, other fruits, coconut.
Creme brulee stout (more caramel, and caramelize the lactose slightly).
Take 1-3 of these options and see how they work out for your tastes.

Wheat: try some regional wheat styles. Belgian, saison, germen hefeweizen, american wheat. Add fruit, oak aged, coconut, or chili maybe.

Start with the BJCp guidelines start with category 1 A and work your way through them all should keep you busy and interested for at least a year or so...that's what I did

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back