Need Major Help with Blueberry Stout!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewithstewpid

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

three weeks ago i brewed a simple oatmeal stout, the recipe was simple:

2# 2-row
1# oatmeal
.5# english black
.5# english chocolate

6# gold dme

s-04

After fermentation (see my other thread: s-04 two Days) the beer tasted great. smooth, roasty, chocolaty.

I racked it on top of 10# frozen, then thawed, blueberries. After 1 week in secondary, THIS BEER TASTES LIKE WINE! I made a blueberry wine! the gravity prior to racking was at 1.024, stable for days. Gravity now is 1.02, so it fermented slightly.

Now, my question is how to save this beer?!?!?! i spent 35$ on blueberries alone, and want to have a drinkable beer (which in all honesty, is was not when i tasted the hydro sample)

Any suggestions? My thought right now is to brew another stout and blend the two. I am open to any suggestions!

thanks for the help

rich

besides just waiting and praying it mellows out. which it may or may not.... i think the best/only other thing to do is brew another stout and blend. maybe someone else has another suggestion but that's all i can think of....

10 pounds is a ton of fruit. For a 5 gallon batch, I found 1.5 pounds adds a nice, subtle flavor.

I agree hat 10 pounds is a lot. When I make blueberry wine I generally use 15 pounds for a 5 gallon batch. But... RDWHAHB... Age it awhile and let us know how it turns out. Make sure it's totally done fermenting B4 bottling, you may not be finished yet.

yes 10# is a lot, but i wanted over the top blueberry. I have used 6# before and didnt notice it. I think this is the last time i use real blueberries. they never work!

rich

Let it bottle condition. My cherry or blueberry stout comes around to perfection at about 12-14 weeks. I've used cherries almost to that ratio and the wine like notes went away after a few months. Blueberries aren't as strong, I'd bet it will be great in a few months or even aged until next Fall.

Put it on an oz or 2 of medium toast french oak chips for a while, then bottle. Consider it a happy accident in making a version of blueberry "cervoise", which is a french word used to name either a beer/wine cocktail or beer/wine fermented together. If you want to amke a blueberry stout "beer", cut back on the fruit by at least half for that volume, but for this one, keep it as is, that sounds AWESOME!

Time is going to be your best friend, I had the same issue with a blueberry wheat this summer, Couldn't even drink it but I left it in the keg figuring I would dump it when the next batch was done fermenting (unless it mellowed) 3 Months later this turned out to be one my favorite beers so far

Time is going to be your best friend, I had the same issue with a blueberry wheat this summer, Couldn't even drink it but I left it in the keg figuring I would dump it when the next batch was done fermenting (unless it mellowed) 3 Months later this turned out to be one my favorite beers so far

that is really great to know!

Back